Sealed granite still absorbs water [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sealed granite still absorbs water

Biggs12
10-20-2002, 02:50 AM
I used the expensive stuff from Home Depot (Aquamix Gold) to seal my bathroom walls & floor. It says to put a coat or two but I coated it 4-5 times already and the granite still absorbs all the water! As far as I can see, it takes a bit longer for the water to get absorbed, but I thought it is supposed to keep it from penetrating in the first place! My shower walls now have a blotchy wet look. Help!

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
10-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Hi Biggs, Welcome. :)

You may want to consider another sealer. It is difficult to use, but the Aquamix "Grout Sealer" will make things highly water repellant. Problem is it dries on the surface very rapidly. You have to keep it wiped off as you go. Flow it on with a sponge and immediately wipe the surface dry as if you were using Windex on a window.

You cannot do this until the stone and grout have completely dried. This may take several days. You will find that the grout sealer is much cheaper than Sealer's Choice, which is not intended to make things waterproof on the surface.

I usually find the grout sealer at Home Depot.

ArtKilinski
10-20-2002, 02:37 PM
Aquamix makes a sealer especially for granite and other stone called Stone Sealers Choice Water Based. I have yet to find this anywhere. I checked Home Depot and Lowe's and neither have it. I'm gonna check at a tile store next.

http://www.aquamix.com/sscwb.htm

John Bridge
10-20-2002, 03:25 PM
From the Aquamix site:

Description: Premium, no-sheen, natural-look, water-based penetrating sealer formulated to provide maximum stain protection, especially in food preparation and serving areas. May also be used as a pre-grouting sealer over clean stone surfaces a minimum of 1 hour prior to grouting. Allows moisture vapor transmission. It is also an excellent grout sealer.

It's pretty similar to what Biggs has already.

KW
10-20-2002, 05:17 PM
Biggs,

SC15Gold works best with light applications. The sealer will not go thru itself. Put sealer on clean rag and wipe quickly.

Was the inner seal intact when you purchased?
Thinking, if the above doesn't work, the container may be a "return" to HD that you then purchased. Maybe it ain't all sealer in there :)

Hope this helps
KW

elsuizo
10-20-2002, 07:36 PM
How about the Stone Tech products,

Last time I was in Colorado trinking a beer at a Bar the person next to me mentioned this product and he thinks it is the best
but I have not used it by myself maybe someone who is reading this note

here the web page

http://www.stonetechpro.com/P_BulletProof.asp

John Bridge
10-21-2002, 05:27 PM
I'm familiar with Stone Tech, and I think they're good. I'll tell ya, though. You're going to hurt KW to the core if you go that route. :D

Biggs12
10-21-2002, 10:49 PM
Is using a "Grout Sealer" recommended for granite? I guess I can try that. If I use another sealer, will I need to remove the old sealer first?

The inner seal was intact when I bought it. The sealer helps repel water a bit, just that it still sucks up the water when it is left there for a few minutes vs seconds when not sealed. Perhaps I have it applied wrong. Is it normal for the tiles to have a wet look when applying the sealer? The granite is quite porous and sucks up a bunch of sealant also. Maybe I need to look for a sealer that creates a film to block out the water?

KW
10-22-2002, 08:08 AM
Biggs, When you say the granite looks wet (Darkens) when you seal with SC15, indicates to me that you might be applying to heavy of an application,allowing the product to go to deep.
Apply very light applications, allowing to dry between.
Grout sealer may streak the surface of the granite if it is real porous.
If you use another sealer, the SC15 does not need to be removed. It is not a bond-breaker.

Are you sure this is Granite? :)

Hope this helps
KW

ArtKilinski
10-22-2002, 04:08 PM
I just purchased a quart of the Stone Sealer Water Based product. I'm gonna try it on my granite vanity top as soon as it's installed (probably in a week or so. This stuff is hard to find. Home Depot and Lowe's doesn't carry it. I had to call a bunch of tile stores and I bought the last bottle from a store called Florida Tile in my area.

Biggs12
10-22-2002, 09:26 PM
It is granite called "Emperor's Gold."

http://graniteandstoneproducts.com/samples/pages/emperorsgold_jpg.htm

Even with a light application, the sealer discolors it. Since it is porous, grout sealer is out of the question? I'll try and apply a very thin layer to the dry tiles and see if it makes any difference.

If it doesn't work out, I'll consider getting a different sealant. Is there a diference between solvent based vs water based sealant?

ArtKilinski, the Stone Sealer's Choice sounds alot like SC15 Gold. If I get a different sealer, I'll probably get something more accessible. Perhaps Tile Labs, StoneTech or Stone Care.

John Bridge
10-23-2002, 05:36 PM
You can also post over at Fred Hueston's board. Some of those guys just might know a little more about that stone than we do. ;)

http://www.ntc-stone.com/main1.htm

ArtKilinski
11-07-2002, 11:46 AM
I just used the Stone Sealer's choice last night on my granite vanity countertop. I applied a hefty coat with a foam brush. It looks wet then forms a hazy look, almost like car wax. After about 10 minutes I buffed it off with some cotton towels. I put some water drops on various areas of the surface and 5 minutes later the drops were still there and weren't absorbed whatsoever. The surface feels very very smooth now.

John Bridge
11-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Okay, so Stone Sealer's Choice really does work, eh? KW hasn't been BS'n us. :D