The JB Forums*****PHOTO ALBUM***** [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : The JB Forums*****PHOTO ALBUM*****

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

John Bridge
08-20-2001, 02:53 PM
I am pleased to announce that Sonnie Layne has sent a pic of himself -- he is the first one to do so and will therefore remain forever the number one guy in the John Bridge Forum Photo Album.

So here he is, the world-famous poet, chef, wine expert, cheese sniffer, painter, tile man, computer whiz, horticulturist, botanist, woodworker . . . . Sonnie Layne!

http://www.johnbridge.com/sonnie.jpg

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-20-2001, 03:12 PM
Well, I'm wrong. I just remembered Dave Gobis was the first to send a pic. The famous "Polar Bear" shot. Cant' remember where I put it, but I'll find it and move a copy over here. Guess I'll have to move myself in here too. And Rob's daughter Jana, too.

JC
08-20-2001, 04:55 PM
Man he looks just like I imagined!! Or maybe it just that all those painters look the same after awile..i dunno

John Bridge
08-20-2001, 05:37 PM
I tracked down Dave's picture. Had to go up into the Arctic to find it. Here he is, the world-famous executive director of the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation (and erstwhile tile setter), Dave Gobis.

http://johnbridge.com/davegobis.jpg

John Bridge
08-20-2001, 06:25 PM
And here is Jana, the daughter of our Tile Forum/Advice Board moderator, Rob Z. Jana is only 5, but we're raising her as a mud girl, eh Rob?

http://www.johnbridge.com/jana.jpg

Sonnie Layne
08-21-2001, 08:30 PM
Hey, I never claimed no interest in sniffin' cheese! Where did you make that up from, JP? I mean, uhhh, yeah I like great wines, fine gold, Vercacci sunglasses, Louis Vuoitan brief cases and all that, but does that necessarily qualify me as a cheese sniffer? Hell, just put a dab of that Feta with onion and tomatoe/basil on a loaf of fresh french loaf and I'll show you what a drag I'm not!!! hehehe.

I'll bet you don't even know how to make butter, you with your fahcy woodworker's vises. Ya needed to make it big enough to capture your head??? or wat? eh? ferget about it... you from brooklin 'er wot?

All a tease John, it's too close to the autumnal equinox to get you all peaved. I've a feeling I couldn't do that anyway so, I'll just let you pass lightly thro' the fields of holly. (now we'll find out if he's really Irish or not).

your bud,
S

Bud Cline
08-21-2001, 10:37 PM
Sonnie, why yall wearin' two shirts with shorts?

John Bridge
08-22-2001, 06:43 AM
Geez, did you have to say equinox? Don't you remember we had to lose that thread a while back just to end Rob's dissertation on the heavens? Now, he'll probably pick up where he left off. :)

The cheese sniffing was just a little literary license stuff.

Got your pics, Bud. I'll work on them this afternoon.

Rob Z
08-22-2001, 06:45 AM
I won't be revisiting any astonomical discussions due to lack of interest, thank you!

Sonnie Layne
08-22-2001, 06:59 AM
John, license granted, thanks. Beautiful vise, by the way. Did you turn the screws yourself? I mean I think I remember seeing that the screws were wooden as well, was this of your manufacture?

Bud, thanks for noticing, I think. Actually they're swim trunks. I had a rare day off a few weeks ago.};){

cx
08-22-2001, 10:24 AM
Where is the picture of the bench vise? I don't seen it.

Sonnie Layne
08-22-2001, 10:53 AM
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=330&pagenumber=2
is where you'll find it, scroll down, it's a beaut.

cx
08-22-2001, 01:28 PM
Thanks Sonnie, don't know how I missed it.

John Bridge
08-22-2001, 04:08 PM
Rob,

Just kidding about the equinox. I wouldn't mind hearing it again. Maybe we won't lose it this time.

Sonnie,

The screw in that vise is allthread, but I have successfully turned my own wood screws and nuts (Thanks to Roy Underhill -- I bought his book).

And now what you've all been waiting for, the Bud Cline Family Album. Bud sent me 4 shots to do with as I choose. I've tried to get everybody in and cut down on the loading time. Bud, when you said those pics were big, you weren't kidding. Had to get out my snips.

http://www.johnbridge.com/bcline1.jpg http://www.johnbridge.com/bcline2.jpg http://www.johnbridge.com/bcline3.jpg
Top: Bud's daughter Leslie (a knockout, eh?), Tanner, who is unhappy, and Bud. Middle: Bud and Laura Lee (another knockout. No, not you, Bud.) Bottom: Bud and kids. Tanner is happier.

John,
There is one other daughter that didn't make the cut, one day when I figure out how to use my digital camera again I'll catch her on the run. She lives out of town attending the University of Nebraska.

[Edited by Bud Cline on 08-22-2001 at 07:43 PM]

John Bridge
08-22-2001, 04:16 PM
The question now is, where are those pictures of Art he said he sent a couple weeks ago?

JC
08-22-2001, 06:23 PM
Dang Bud never pictured you as a blond. The beer belly was a given though.

John Bridge
08-22-2001, 06:27 PM
Hey J.C. Pony up, man. And watch that beer belly stuff, okay? :)

Rob Z
08-22-2001, 06:44 PM
Everyone be warned. I sent a pic to John, and I'll make Bud look skinny.

Art, c'mon and send in the pictures!

Bud Cline
08-22-2001, 07:26 PM
Blonde my ass. That's white and I earned every one of them suckers.

Rob Z
08-22-2001, 07:49 PM
John

How about getting that picture of Dave Ashton and all his drunken cronies over here?

Sonnie Layne
08-22-2001, 07:59 PM
Aww, Bud, you're not nearly as scary looking as you type, hehe. From now on it's MR Bud. Great looking family, good on you.

S

chip
08-23-2001, 04:05 AM
Alright already!!

Do they have to be on a floppy? Or can I send just regular pictures.

Of course, with me in it, it would be anything but regular?

Let me know and they will be in the mail this week end.

Man, I must say there is some tough competition out there! With Sonnie, Jana, John, Dave and now Bud, I'm going to have to find some one who can touch up mine.

Boy isn't Loralea cute!!

Art

Sonnie Layne
08-23-2001, 06:52 AM
Hey Art,
You can take a regular photo to one of your local Quizno's or Speed E Print or most any reprographics place and they'll have a scanner. They can scan it to a floppy, then you can attach the file to an email. Ask if they can scan it and convert it to a JPEG file, they're much smaller.

John Bridge
08-23-2001, 05:26 PM
Yeah, Rob. I'll have to remember where I last put that shot of Dave A. That's an old one though. Maybe we ought to nudge him for a newer one.

Art, mi amigo. If everything else fails you can do like Rob does and send the snapshot via snail mail. I'll do the scanning. If you want to take a new pic, you can have it developed anywhere, and "anywhere" can load it onto a disc for you.

And yes, jpeg will be the format. I don't know of anyone who loads it any other way except (drum roll) Microsoft . . . hush . . .

Sonnie, Have you gotten into any of those image files that start with b?

Rob Z
08-24-2001, 06:57 PM
I will bug Dave for a more recent mug shot.

John Bridge
08-25-2001, 09:25 AM
Art,

I just remembered this. You're on AOL and certain photo processing places will upload your pics to AOL. It's the thing you see when you sign on right below the "you've got mail." It says "you've got pictures."

Yeah, Rob. Get us a more recent shot of Dave the Creature. That other one was taken in the late eighties, when the other Bush was running for pres. You remember -- "H. Dubya."

Guess I ll have to get my own mug moved over here, too.

John Bridge
08-25-2001, 09:44 AM
You've seen it, but I wanted to get it into the album.
http://www.johnbridge.com/bridge_family/MVC-017F.JPG
Steve, Patti and Matt. The old geezer in the back is actually one of my older brothers. I'm much younger than that guy.

Rob Z
08-26-2001, 06:59 PM
Hi Tanner. How old are you? When is your birthday? Can your Dad help you type?

Hi Steve and Matt.

From Jana

Sonnie Layne
08-26-2001, 09:01 PM
I take it all back!! I'd never be able to stand the pressure of working alongside the mudmeister. I mean, I would help if I only could, but, with a reminder of that photo, I'll regress into complete ignorance. I am not worthy!!!!

John Bridge
08-27-2001, 02:34 PM
You lost me again, Sonnie.

I just got the pic of Rob Z. You would definitely want him on your side in a bar fight.

http://www.johnbridge.com/pics/rztile.jpg
The Zschoche Family --Jana, Christina and the guy in back.

Bud Cline
08-27-2001, 03:04 PM
"My God" he's bigger than the ocean!

I sure am glad I've been nice to him.

JC
08-27-2001, 04:34 PM
Yea he is

cx
08-27-2001, 04:59 PM
Damn, me too, Bud. And look, that girl is standing on her tippy toes!

Mister Jana's Daddy from now on. Least for us little guys.

kalford
08-27-2001, 05:11 PM
Hell...I ain't much taller than his wife!!

John,My computer won't cooperate!! Can I send a couple pics
by land?

Rob Z
08-27-2001, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone

I assure you, I am a real easy to get along with kinda fella.

Let's see some pics from the rest of you!

That picture was taken in OCT 99 at the top of the tallest dune at Kill Devil Hills, NC. It's not far from where the Wright Brothers did their thing.

Rob

Dave Ashton
08-27-2001, 06:45 PM
No you know why Rob works alone most of the time....because he can!

Rob Z
08-27-2001, 06:48 PM
Dave...we need a newer picture than the infamous Rugby hooligan pic.

Give me a call.

Rob

LDavis
08-27-2001, 07:15 PM
Geez Rob, with football season gearing up, I guess you'll be storing the tile tools so you can get back to that "linebacker" position somewhere. Don't have much trouble collecting that bill when the jobs done, right?

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 02:29 PM
Moving right along, I've got a couple more to post. I got a new picture of Dave "Creature" Ashton.

Here's Dave (left) and his Rugby team mate Smiley.
http://www.johnbridge.com/pics/daveashton.jpg

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 02:31 PM
And here's CX (Kelly the Ski) Chaplin.
http://www.johnbridge.com/pics/kellyski.jpg
Caption: "You're never to old to be stupid." --CX (attributed)

[Edited by John Bridge on 08-28-2001 at 06:26 PM]

cx
08-28-2001, 02:41 PM
Hey, John, I tole you to pewt the caption with that picher.

"You're Never Too Old To Be Stupid!"

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 04:28 PM
Yeah, Keith.

John Bridge
6717 Mistflower Lane
Katy, TX 77449

JC
08-28-2001, 08:06 PM
Thats not beer Dave is drinking is it?

chip
08-28-2001, 08:42 PM
What kind of Rugby league is this any way?

Dave,

Is this the picture with all your freinds?

Curious minds want to know!!!

Kelly,

I sure like how your gloves, life vest and ski's match!! You are probably the best dressed water skier I've ever seen.

Art

cx
08-28-2001, 11:21 PM
Why, thank you Art, I was afraid nobody would notice.

I have a matching cover for the ski, too. Bought them all from Linda O'Brian herownself, when O'Brian was a big name in that business, before they got theirselves in deepest doodoo and the company was bought by Coleman. Used to do a lot of skiing in an earlier life.

Not a single piece of that ensamble had been skiing in 20 years, including the old guy. Don't get wore out much that way - except the old guy, of course.

Did you also notice we was goin' so fast it blowed all my hair off?

John Bridge
08-29-2001, 01:49 PM
Art actually sent me a picture file, but the format has me stumped. ".max" I think it came out of his paperport scanner program which I don't have. He did send the picture, though, or did he? Curious minds want to know.

chip
08-29-2001, 02:58 PM
I can't find any thing about this jpeg, you keep bragging about though.

I will see what I can do after I go get some more shellack in my hair tonight.

Bye,

Art

flatfloor
08-29-2001, 03:19 PM
All of you are great!! Really!

OK, OK I'll do it, may not be able to get Kathleen to agree but me and the world famous Golden will as soon as I get the mud and feathers out of her coat. Just give a little time for the technical end.

John Bridge
08-29-2001, 04:49 PM
C'mon, Jim. We want to see your woman, too. Hi Kathleen.

Art,

If I had your program I could find a way to convert the file to a jpeg. Jpeg is the most common photo file on the Internet. If you look at the 'properties' of every photo on here, you'll see "jpg" or "jpeg" on the end. I spent about an hour trying to get my system to do it. I've done everything short of calling Dave B. I don't call Dave B. unless the sytem breaks down.

cx
08-29-2001, 05:59 PM
John:
I done axe my computer guy what does a lot of photo stuff, and he avers no knowledge of a "max" extender either.

Quien sabe?

Dave Ashton
08-29-2001, 06:02 PM
My guess is that the bottle is sunscreen. You learn as you get a little older(and wiser) that drinking beer during an all day tournament isnt such a great idea, especially in the heat.

cx
08-29-2001, 06:43 PM
Y'all Rugby guys DRINK SUNSCREEN when you play on hot days!?

Que Hombres!

Sonnie Layne
08-29-2001, 09:54 PM
I'm gettin' a headache, think I'll button up my shirt and regret I was ever a part of this.

Too funny, guys! Isn't it nice to be able to "see" to whom you are speaking?

Now listen, I've gotta say it and I'm sorry I even thought it, but I think Rob is cheatin'... he's got this model of a Hollywood gal who ate the shrink pill standin' in front of him just to make himself look REALLY BIG. Shame, shame, shame. And that beauty in his arms... you think when she's seventeen she'll remember how special she is now? Gods, for you Rob I hope so.

I was once told, after explaining to my friend that I had "lost" my daughter while she was maturing that "She'll come back to you"

I asked, hopefully of course "When?".

"Somewhere between twenty-one and forty-five" was her answer.

Ya just gotta love em every minute, eh, Rob? Anytime you wanna get rid of her for a weekend, just send her to John's and I'll teach her how to cook!!!

Sonnie Layne
08-29-2001, 10:06 PM
DAMNED these beans and rice are good, amend my recipe to two teaspoons of thyme and one cup of celery. Minor dash of tobasco is prefunctually a necessity at this point. Also I might add that the garlic could could be doubled if the cloves were broiled and added later to the comp.

Literary license lends latitude, e'en lillipunctory assignment.

You remember Lilly, eh?

Oh, whaa... I'm on the wrong forum... 'scuse me...

Bud Cline
08-29-2001, 10:31 PM
Hey Jana,

Dad and I are finally spending a little time together and I wanted to say hello to you.

I was four in April and I still go to daycare. I like Scubby Doo and the Monsters and the Gargoyles, how about you? I like to ride my new bike and play water balloons and I like raisins.

Tanner 1112345677778889110

Rob Z
08-30-2001, 07:24 AM
Hi Tanner
Thank you for your message. I really like it.

My favorite shows are Power Puff Girls. I like the pink girl named Blossom.

I like Dragon Tales and Sesame Street. And Madeline and Winnie the Pooh.

I like to ride my pink bike.

I just started kindergarten.

Bye for now.

Jana

Rob Z
08-30-2001, 07:29 AM
Sonnie

Gary Katz (over at JLC trim carpentry forum) told me he lost his daughter and hadn't seen her for years. I , being the doting father of a adoring 5 year old, was very disturbed about this thought.

He said pretty much the same thing as your friend did. Hopefully, she'll buy and old house and marry a nice fellow that won't know how to do anything, and Jana will call Daddy over about three times a week to do "some stuff" on the house. Not a bad retirement plan.

The cooking plan sounds good, but after raising five sons, I don't think John would know what to do with a girl around the house.

Rob

John Bridge
08-30-2001, 04:35 PM
John could learn. Sons numbers 2 through 4 or 5 were supposed to be "my little girl."

cx
08-30-2001, 05:24 PM
I hate to be a whiner (tehe) but is this fair?

I suggest we have a boat forum; we don't get no stinkin' boat forum.

I suggest we have a conspiracy forum; we don't get no stinkin' conspiracy forum.

Instead we get a pre-school-dating-service forum!

Where's the fairness in that, I axe you?

Simple
08-30-2001, 06:50 PM
cx,

I'm with you man. Add one more to the list. Lets call it the "Foam Forum". All about beer!

Mike

Bud Cline
08-30-2001, 10:49 PM
"The Foam Forum": all about beer?

Hell I thought you were really getting into the Wedi product there for a second.

Sonnie Layne
08-31-2001, 07:04 AM
Seems to me, what with the replies between offspring going on here, that we should have a kid's forum, just so our gene pools can gather and exchange news and ideas. I always wanted my own pink bike...

On the topic of kids' forums... my sweetie's grand-daughter (don't let her ever hear the "grand" word) just won the spot co-hosting a news series called "Get Reel" on Encore's WAM. It's a news/entertainment show that premiers this Sat evening 7:30 pm ET. It's supposedly like "Entertainment Tonight" but for teens. She's done commercials and such, but this may be her big break. By the way, guys, she's making industry rates as well!! Her name is xxxxxxxxx, keep your eyes open, maybe she'll make it to the big screen! I have an autograph already.

edited to remove her name, some overzealous fan searched the internet, got my address/email and contacted me to find out about her. sl

Bud Cline
08-31-2001, 07:57 AM
Is she taking loan applications yet and where do I send mine? $150.00 hr huh?

Sonnie Layne
08-31-2001, 08:21 AM
haha Bud, you can get in line right behind me!!! That's just the base taping rate. Also there are remunerations every time the show is aired, how long her image is aired, how many words she speaks, etc... Damned, and a painters rate is only $40 per hour, no further remunerations and you have to pay to have your name on the credits at the end of the feature!!!

Simple
08-31-2001, 12:26 PM
I learned in 45 minutes how to use the upload feature on my isp, the jpg feature on my new Fuji Fine Pix 6800 and survived a week without income due to rain. Know that is deserving of a title.

I'll start with a picture of my Home Office. This was a 5 x 8' walk in closet that I converted. Notice the desk top!
http://users2.ev1.net/~mksr/desk1.jpg

Simple

It's who you know!

John Bridge
08-31-2001, 01:36 PM
I don't get WAM or much of anything else. We have the basic cable package, which is, well, basic. But hey, that girl is making damned near as much as a journeyman tile setter, no?

Mike,

I like that home office. I particularly like your taste in web sites. You can have anything you want. I won't call you simple, though.

Oh. There is a very useful site I have linked on our links page. It has to do with, of all things, beer.

http://www.beerbellyboyz.com/

John Bridge
08-31-2001, 01:48 PM
Derek and Jacqui sent me a newspaper. Yeah, the photo they sent was the size of the front page. I've been working at whittling it down.

Here they are. Ex-fugitives from across the pond, Derek and Jacqui Dale.

http://www.johnbridge.com/pics/deport.jpg

Bud Cline
08-31-2001, 02:18 PM
John,

That was a heartless thing to do, where's page two?

JC
08-31-2001, 03:27 PM
And now we still don't know the rest of the story?

Bud Cline
08-31-2001, 03:35 PM
Maybe Derek and Jacqui will fill us in. I am curious though....why Tennessee? Isn't Virginia on your list of stops also, was it Roanoke?

John Bridge
08-31-2001, 04:02 PM
I figure because they sent me the clip that it would be okay to post it. Their story, though, gets somewhat involved. Seems it's pretty tough for English people to immigrate. Maybe they should have come by way of Mexico. Dubya's fixin' to legalize about 3 million folks from south of the border. Amnesty they call it.

Derek & Jacqui
08-31-2001, 06:11 PM
Started out in Virginia (with Jacqui's sister)- started proceedings to stay. Needed a sponsor - got one in Tennessee. The paperwork was slow (what's new?) and the new law came out before it was completed. We should have left USA September 26th. and had our tickets to go. Friday, 25th. September, Washington informed us that, as we had our court date on October 8th., we could stay. At the court we were granted our green cards. Hence, all's well that ends well. The only bad part was the sponsor being an AH, but that is past.
Hope that clears up the missing bits.

cx
08-31-2001, 06:12 PM
Yep, and that's what they called it last time too, maybe 10 or 12 years ago. I believe politics is its correct name, though.

LDavis
08-31-2001, 06:45 PM
Derek & Jacqui,

Glad you got the "green light". From what I see/hear about everyday, the good ol USA can always use more "professional tile setters".

Bud Cline
08-31-2001, 07:04 PM
The "sponsor" thing has me puzzled. Why is England any different than any other country foriegn to the US. The guy that stole my kids bicycle didn't have a sponsor. The guys down the street from me selling drugs don't have a sponsor.

John Bridge
08-31-2001, 07:41 PM
So Bud,

It all gets back to Virginia, eh? Not Roanoke, though. Very first English settlement in North America was Jamestown (Virginia).

Derek and Jacqui,

Government is government no matter which side of the pond. Welcome aboard.

Derek & Jacqui
08-31-2001, 07:53 PM
Bud,
The sponsor thing is to make sure that the immigrant is not taking a job from an American. We (our sponsor)had to advertise in 3 surrounding states for American applicants. Fortunately, there was only one applicant and he had worked for our sponsor and had been fired (so the story goes) for bad work. All applications had to be forwarded to Nashville with either interview dates or reasons why an interview was not granted. We, in turn, had to produce evidence that we had been qualified tile setters for a minimum of ten years, were not wanted by Interpol, did not have bad habits or bad health etc. etc. etc. The cost of being legal (and this is not a defence of illegal immigrants) is vast ($15,000 +) and sometimes a lot more as your sponsor dictates your pay and there is nothing you can do unless you can find another sponsor and start from scratch.

Bud Cline
08-31-2001, 08:04 PM
I guess I've never heard of such a thing.

How do all these others get here and work and stay and have kids on welfare and get food stamps and just sit on the dole when you had to jump thru so many hoops?

Derek & Jacqui
08-31-2001, 08:08 PM
Bud,
At least we can sleep nights without the fear of a knock on the door. ( There is some good in being honest).

JC
08-31-2001, 10:49 PM
It that way for just about everybody and the same if we want to immigrate somewhere else.
I believe there is even a rule if you can prove you don't need to work for a living and have a fat bank account that you are welcome with open arms.

My sister just married a guy from England who did'nt have papers (hmmmm).

flatfloor
09-01-2001, 10:02 AM
From what I understand Bud, and I could be wrong, they do hve sponsors IF they are legal. The sponsor is SUPPOSED to be responsible for them, but INS just forgets about it and they get welfare, medicaid and all that good stuff.

I mentioned once before I have a friend who works for Social Security and he has seen 65 year old immigrants get off the plane, and be brought directly into Social Security by their children to apply for retirement benefits. No, they don't get any.

D & J, nice to hear a happy ending, we were all hanging!

[Edited by flatfloor on 09-01-2001 at 12:08 PM]

Simple
09-01-2001, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone,

A picture of my son Raihn (rain) 2 years old, my daughter Skai (sky) 6 years old and myself (I'll be 34 on Monday). My wife didn't want any part of the photo album. I'll get her when she's not looking. Hehe!
http://users2.ev1.net/~mksr/us.jpg

"It's who you know"

Bud Cline
09-01-2001, 10:17 AM
I think it's time to close down this entire board and everyone go their seperate ways before it's too late.

This is really weird: We have a friend that has two sons, they are about 6 and 8 years old right now. Their names are: Sky (Blue) and Rain (Forest).

I think I'm going to call the 800 number for Miss Cleo right now and have her do a card reading. Maybe she can save us all.

Simple
09-01-2001, 11:13 AM
Bud,

My daughters name is Skai Bleu (blue). That's crazy.......
Mike

Bud Cline
09-01-2001, 11:28 AM
At least you guys had the imagination to give the spelling some originality.

I had friend years ago whose sister named all their animals things like: The cat was named "cat", the dog was named "dog", there were two cows (and this is where it gets really confusing) there was "cow black" and "cow red". A bird? Oh yeh they had a bird too.

John Bridge
09-02-2001, 08:24 AM
At last, what we've all been waiting for. Direct from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The tile professor (Steven k.) and friend. You decide who's who.

http://www.johnbridge.com/pics/stevenk.jpg

JC
09-02-2001, 09:17 AM
Nice Fish!!! The only fish we have where I live that big are in country fairs and you have to be careful not to accidently deflate them(they don't swim cery good either).

Bud Cline
09-02-2001, 10:51 AM
......"and I suppose THAT'S the only picture you had to send, right"?

I didn't know Canada had guppies in the wild.

tileprof
09-02-2001, 11:46 AM
guppies....lol...this is a rainbow trout that grew up in the river went to the ocean(4 years) and has come back to spawn commonly known as a steelhead.I tried to send another pic but the file was too big . this one is about 14 lbs.

John Bridge
09-02-2001, 12:11 PM
Steven,

I was thinking that might be a steelhead.

I told you how to send the other picture. Convert it to a .jpg or .jpeg. You can do it in your photo program, whatever it is. If it's Adobe, you go to File/export/file format. When it takes you to your directory (where you're saving the file) pull down the file type menu and choose "JPEG,JPG,JPE etc. And then save the picture.

Now you can send the thing without it's trying to take over the Internet. BMP (bitmap) files are just too stinking big.

Sonnie Layne
09-02-2001, 07:41 PM
I can empathisize with D&J's plight. I tried to emigrate to Australia just a few years back, and ran into the same thing. I finally found a coroporate who was willing to sponsor me, given that I had talents her corp could use but could not hire locally (after a year's waiting period to find a local employee). Then about the time the papers were ready I got rejected because I was two month too old.

Their cut-off is 45 years of age. Of course I was 45 when I applied, but... hey... it's their loss. I was just looking to be able to spend a few years there in their environ, absorbing it all and be able to support myself working in the while. Now all it takes is for me to deposit $750K in an OZ bank and call myself some kind of business interest, catalogue it with the nationals, and there you go. Sad thing is my millions are tied up in my own current US interests (mortgage, college, phone, utilities, etc...).

John Bridge
09-03-2001, 04:04 PM
Hey Sonnie,

Is that $750K American or Australian. The Aussie dollar is worth about half as much as ours is. If it's Aussie, I can probably let you have it. I'll just send it along when I mail you your mug, okay buddy? :D

Here's my real reason for my being here. Being it's Labor Day and a little slow around here I took a hike up to Ontario and checked Harry's board. Found a little chat between Harry, Ron and Bri and subsequently found a picture of Harry (he was actually doing some work.)

Anyway, I stole the pic (not a great photo), cut it down a little and posted it to my site so that I could put it here. I sure hope Harry agrees to give permission or I could be in real trouble.

Here's Harry Dunbar, Ontario Tile Setter. He's got some other pics on his home page of the job he was doing which is quite nice. http://www.ontariotile.com/index.html

I can't believe he's got a Home Depot bucket. Couldn't you have hidden it before the picture was snapped, Harry? Come on, man, have some class!

http://www.johnbridge.com/pics/harrydunbar.jpg

John Bridge
09-06-2001, 05:58 PM
I'm only posting here so that this thing doesn't end up getting timed out. Guess no one has any smart remarks to make about Harry's picture. I know it's not a good one, but it's the best one he had that I could steal!

Harry
09-06-2001, 06:52 PM
I have no idea how that bucket got there, it must be my helper's .... I'll fire him first thing tomorrow. :)

cx
09-06-2001, 11:55 PM
Maybe with that short sword ol' Harry's got he could be ol' Zorro's sidekick.

'Cept I don't remember the real Zorro having a side kick. What the hell, we can make one up if'n we want to.

Harry, I gotta know. Did you PAY for the bucket at HD? I hate it when they alla time axe me, "do you want the bucket too" when I dump a buncha stuff on the counter. "Oh, yeah", I always say, "I wanna pay y'all to carry your sign around for ya".

Most times I try to remember to bring nice nasty grout bucket with to pewt my stuff in. Then I axe them do they wanna buy MY bucket. tehe

John Bridge
09-14-2001, 04:20 PM
I have been distracted by the sorrowful events of the past few days, but I don't want the album to be burried along with the fallen.

Therefore, I'm still waiting for the pics of those who have not submitted.

And I think I mentioned before that Home Depot now sells plain white buckets (no logo) for the same price as the one Harry got caught with in the picture. Go stealth, guys.

Sonnie Layne
09-15-2001, 11:06 AM
would you believe I throw away more five gallon buckets than I use?

I mean, when I was living by the lake and married and all, I filled them sometimes with cement as anchors. other times I'd fill them with maze and go catch a boat load of catfish. But nowdays I just put 'em on the curb and someone will pick em up. Now...when I go to mixing grout or thinset, I prefer the shorter squatty three gallon guys. Easier to get your trowel in and out without getting the stuff all over ya as they are larger in diameter. I keep those.

thanks for keeping it alive, JP. Being the forum's poet, I feel it my duty to post something relavent to the recent events here, but my emotions are getting in the way right now. I'll come across with something shortly.

John Bridge
09-18-2001, 05:00 PM
Sonnie,

Wash out and save all those buckets. You can sell them for three dollars alongside the road on your slack days. :)

Really, I just want to keep this post where everybody can see it. Everybody, that is, who is still remiss in kicking in a photo.

cx
09-18-2001, 05:16 PM
Sonnie:

I, too, like sometimes those 3 gal. buckets. You can buy paint in 3s?

John Bridge
09-20-2001, 05:23 PM
Okay, enough of this bucket talk. I won't be distracted (at least, not here). The last picture in this album I had to steal (Harry caught with the Home Depot bucket). I think it's high time (beyond high time) that others, who shall remain nameless at present, get a damn picture in here!

John (can't believe I said that) Bridge.

cx
09-20-2001, 06:01 PM
Not enough about buckets 'till Sonnie answers about do he get paint in 3s. Please, sir?

An about them pichers, you mean like nameless JC and nameless flatfloor and nameless Brian, and like that there? Is that kinda like what you mean? If so, how come you don't go ahead and name'em?

That's what I'd do. :D

flatfloor
09-21-2001, 08:11 AM
It's a technical glitch....in my brain, it will happen!

Ron
09-22-2001, 08:27 AM
Hi John,

I suppose that most of the guys here don't have the vanity of fashion models to make posting their photos a priority.I,on the other hand,am quite a stunning example of masculinity and ....O.K...maybe not,I just haven't figured out how to use the digital camera yet.

I am decidedly low tech and camera shy so please allow me some more time to send a pic.

cx
09-27-2001, 09:56 PM
Hmmmm. AP sends in a picture of Chip?

Hmmmm.

I also find it interesting that Chip looks exactly like a red X in a tiny little box.

Hmmmmm.

I think I'm confused again.

Oops, now he looks like TWO red Xs in tiny little boxes.

Bud Cline
09-27-2001, 10:02 PM
"NEWS FLASH"

Finally from the AP Wire (Art Phenis that is) the picture we have all been waiting for.

H-e-e-e-r-r-r-r-e's CHIP

http://www.bestdealsontheweb.net/chip.gif

"Oh great"! Which one's CHIP???

Sonnie Layne
09-27-2001, 11:04 PM
No, I don't buy paint in 3's, but I buy the 3's from my paint store. Sorry about the confusion.

flatfloor
09-28-2001, 12:14 PM
I'm getting all the heat here for not sending in photos and it's not my fault. My beloved Kathleen is in charge of photos and she has 2 rolls of film waiting to be developed, and b4 anyone says "why don't you do it" I don't know where the hell they are and do any of you dare go in YOUR beloved's purse and when I ask she says "I'll DO it"

SO! please email Kathleen and tell her best way to have them developed computer friendly.

Thank you and g'day

John Bridge
09-28-2001, 03:28 PM
Kathleen Buckley's email address: grannybu@optonline.net

flatfloor
09-28-2001, 04:15 PM
I could have done that! I wanted to hide her address.:)

John Bridge
09-28-2001, 04:56 PM
Why? Anybody can get the "properties." I've already sent her an email telling her you asked me to do it.

flatfloor
09-28-2001, 05:24 PM
YOU DID WHAT?

I'm doomed. Is this revenge for the Astros?

John Bridge
09-28-2001, 08:09 PM
<<SO! please email Kathleen and tell her best way to have them developed computer friendly.>>

Did you say that or didn't you?

flatfloor
09-28-2001, 09:12 PM
Yes, but I didn't want you to tell her I told you to tell her. (Did that come out right?)

Good Lord Man, have you learned nothing in all your maried years?

Rob Z
09-28-2001, 09:17 PM
Jim

Clear as mud, but I still understood ya.

How many years married?

Z

Bud Cline
09-28-2001, 10:11 PM
So Jim.........what you are saying is I probably shouldn't have emailed her either huh?

John Bridge
09-29-2001, 08:54 AM
Jim, If you want to get even you can email Patti. Of course, Patti's email comes to my web site. Here it is, though, and you can tell her I told you.

pat@johnbridge.com

flatfloor
09-29-2001, 03:17 PM
Rob-25 years, second time around works.

Bud, your OK it was John who... aw never mind

Wonder what I'll get for dinner? Probably reservations.

I'm still not sure how many emails she got.:)

cx
09-29-2001, 06:20 PM
'Least one. :D

John Bridge
09-29-2001, 07:22 PM
'Least two. ;)

John Bridge
11-02-2001, 03:52 PM
Here's the pic of Barbs' and Curt's crew.

http://johnbridge.com/pics/Barb'sCrew.jpg

Sir Francis Drake, Scout, Barbs, Ian, Coby, Curt -- Saltillo tile is no challenge to this outfit. ;)

Barbs
11-02-2001, 09:38 PM
For all you guys who complained about the lack of beer in our last pictures, there is a cerveza behind me, Authentica Clara. I would have displayed it more prominantly, but Scout the Lab likes to knock them over and drink them, and I don't think it's good for the tiles. We'll baptize this floor with champagne when we're done.
Barbs

John Bridge
11-02-2001, 09:49 PM
Barbs,

I'm really surprised no one around here spotted that long neck almost totally obscured behind your knee. Guess we're losing our grip. C'mon, guys, pay attention from now on, okay?

[Edited by John Bridge on 11-03-2001 at 11:16 AM]

Barbs
11-02-2001, 09:55 PM
John, they say the eyes are the first to go. No problem in your case, I can see!
Barbs

John Bridge
12-14-2001, 04:08 PM
Cami, our hostess, has just sent me what has to be the worst picture she owns of her family and herself. Cami, baby, we've got to do better than this. Adobe wouldn't fix this picture. :)

Cami, husband Jack, and Jacob.

http://johnbridge.com/pics/cami.jpg

Cami A
12-14-2001, 05:29 PM
I said it wasn't the greatest- what can ya expect from a free digital camera? :D

Rob Z
12-14-2001, 05:31 PM
Cami

I'm glad to see that you are using plywood on the subfloor of your house. No one knows what plywood is around here anymore. It's all OSB :(

John Bridge
12-14-2001, 05:32 PM
Send me a snap shot and I'll scan it. :D

John Bridge
03-21-2002, 05:39 AM
[Drum roll, and then a little girlie music :)]

"This would be the Girl in me." --Dianne

http://johnbridge.com/pics/diane5.jpg

cx
03-21-2002, 08:28 PM
Well, yeah, that looks like a girl all right, but, well, Bud dresses up like that sometimes and wears makeup and all and, well, you can't really tell all that much from that picture and, well..........

Jeeez, Diane, you ain't s'pose to send in a real portrait kinda picher. Look thru that thread at the other photos. Now tell me, do you see any professional portraits in there?

Now, before anybody else gets offended, send John a REAL picher, like in you tilin' clothes with a beer and a dirty bucket (but not from HD) and a trowel or somethin. And we gotta be able to see the WHOLE girl, know what I mean? And surely you can get hubby in there pretending to help - or at least helping drink beer. :D

But at least you're ahead of SOME folks in the group who ain't never sent NO kinda picher. Know what I mean, flatfloor?

flatfloor
03-21-2002, 08:31 PM
J'ai su qu'il y avait des infirmières d'un amour de la raison I.

cx
03-21-2002, 08:43 PM
Yeah, flatfloor, we all like nurses, but I bet that ain't really the way you say it. John gonna make fun of you again. :D

Bet you went to that silly translation site again, eh? Lemme see if I can get that translated into Espanol.

flatfloor
03-21-2002, 08:51 PM
I thought you were off rustling Ibexeses.

Cami A
03-21-2002, 09:11 PM
See how they are, Dianne? "Send a picture, send a picture..." turns into "It's too fuzzy" and "Nobody else sent a professional photograph". :D

cx
03-21-2002, 09:44 PM
Ms. Cami, puh-leeeeze! That photo you sent in was so bad the guy along side the person who is allegedly you could be the same guy in the motorcycle picher with Sharon. :D

Cami A
03-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Dang! I knew that guy looked familiar, but I just couldn't place him...

Nah- Jack likes Hondas...

cx
03-21-2002, 10:17 PM
And by the way, Mr. Buckley, Ibex "rustling" season, as you so crudely referred to it, is over.

This trip is for owl rustling.

And you'll be sorry for your glib tongue when I'm gone. :D

JC
03-22-2002, 12:05 AM
CX did you get that tape? I sent it awhile ago.

dian57
03-22-2002, 04:49 AM
Tough crowd here. That's my best picture and I'm sticking with it. Suffice it to say that with that shot in mind, you'd never recognize me if we passed on the street.

John Bridge
03-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Way to go, Dianne. Gotta be firm around here. ;)

Quite tryin' to speak frog, flatfloor. I can't understand a word what with that Irish poking through. :)

Bud Cline
03-22-2002, 06:03 PM
FINALLY! A little class around here. You guys could learn something here you know?

........and good lookin' too.

John Bridge
03-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Mr. CX Kelly Chaplin, inspired by the picture of Dave's pheasant, has sent a picture of himself and his owl. I will let him explain.

http://johnbridge.com/pics/kelly-owl.jpg

flatfloor
03-23-2002, 05:10 PM
How did the owl train CX to hold up his arm? Must have been many repititions. :D

Bud Cline
03-23-2002, 05:14 PM
"WHO"?

Sonnie Layne
03-25-2002, 10:19 AM
hey, don't I recognize that fowl (owl) as one of them three- spotted soot nosed fella's that have been endangered by the demise of Mt Houston??? Darned if they haven't been forced out of their habitat to try to eack out a slender survival in the hill country, and by god, lookie here... they've left their natural wildness behind and have begun to take on the liking's of carpenters and such!!! Such fun, great pic. :)

John Bridge
05-24-2002, 03:01 PM
It is my extreme pleasure and profound honor to present, at long last, Flatfloor -- Jim Buckley. There was a note that accompanied the picture:

"Please be gentle in your remarks about my likeness. You must know by now how sensitive I am."

--Jim

http://johnbridge.com/pics/jimbuckley.jpg

Cami A
05-24-2002, 03:13 PM
About time! :D

John Bridge
05-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Forgot to tell you. That's Rob Z.'s white van in the background. This pic was apparently taken at the famous meeting in New York.

flatfloor
05-24-2002, 03:31 PM
That's Rob's van behind me, he was asleep in it. :D

flatfloor
05-24-2002, 03:38 PM
Simulpost!!

Did I just coin a word?

Bud Cline
05-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Jim,

I don't understand why you didn't just send John one of your autographed 8X10 portraits like the one you sent me and my wife months ago.

Rob Z
05-24-2002, 06:09 PM
Just seconds before I snapped this picture, Flatfloor swept a dozen or so of his empties on the floor beside the table.

flatfloor
05-24-2002, 06:53 PM
John got a 4' x 6' oil for over his fireplace.

John Bridge
05-24-2002, 08:17 PM
Did I miss anything? I was out in my shop roughing in a frame for a 4 foot by 6 foot oil painting that arrived this afternoon from Lon Gisland. Can't quite make out the characters, but the work is quite good. Looks like a depiction of some bald-headed guy rowing a boat full of monks. Wonder if it's Saint Brendan the Ferocious.

:D

Bud Cline
05-24-2002, 10:23 PM
Did it look like they were having supper? See any sign of dramamine?

chip
05-25-2002, 09:27 AM
As soon as I saw the ladder rack, I knew it was Robs' van.

I did an informal survey, while at the tile show.

Rob, you are the only tile contractor that needs a ladder to set tile. Are you really that short?

Jim,

You had me fooled,(Go figure?) I figured you to be at least 50-60 years older;)

Chippy

Sonnie Layne
05-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Give a nice girl a wonderful bottle of french bordeaux and...

Dress 'er up, just can't take 'er anywhere, haha.

This is my JJ.

http://sonnielayne.com/images/JJBordeaux.jpg

Bud Cline
05-25-2002, 11:04 AM
Well it's about time.

Hi JJ.....say.....what are you doing next saturday night?

John Bridge
05-25-2002, 12:00 PM
Yep, that's the only way to drink Bordeaux I know of. ;)

Hey Art,

Seems to me you were going to send in a pic about a year ago.

Rob Z
05-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Chip

I prefer to call it a "roof rack". No ladders for this guy.

That rack is to carry trim, pipe, lumber, and other materials for hard core remodeling. The use of ladders would indicate that possibly I am doing some painting, or even worse...roofing!

I will admit to using a 4' stepladder when caulking the tile up at the top of a shower that runs to the ceiling. :D

Better send in a pic...so far, all I have to go on is a description by KW and Ron as to what your mug looks like.

flatfloor
05-25-2002, 02:44 PM
Chip's been threatening as long as I have. :)

Ron
05-25-2002, 08:29 PM
I'll have to admit,Art,that I described you,to Rob and Bri as looking like a "professional golfer".Or a used car salesman. :D

Rob Z
05-25-2002, 08:33 PM
ARRRTTT?

John Bridge
05-26-2002, 07:38 AM
Since you're here, Ron, where's your picture? You too Bri. Don't send the same one you put on Harry's board, though. We want full color. :D

Rob Z
05-26-2002, 08:18 AM
Ron promised me last night in Harry's chat room that he would get a picture here within one week.

We'll see!

http://colin.mochrie.com/index1.html

[Edited by Rob Zschoche on 05-26-2002 at 10:47 AM]

Ron
05-27-2002, 06:11 PM
Rob

I don't recall "promising" I'd have a picture in a week.I think I meant I'd have it there "soon" :D For now,Colin Mochrie's photo will have to suffice.

Jeez,I'm really resembling that fella lately.

Hey everyone, click on this:

http://colin.mochrie.com/index1.html

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[Edited by Rob Zschoche on 05-27-2002 at 09:51 PM]

Bud Cline
05-27-2002, 09:15 PM
Is that who that is???

The guys a riot!

John Bridge
06-07-2002, 08:20 PM
Thought I would just shove this back to the top as a reminder that there are a few characters around here who have not submitted. They shall remain nameless for the time being, except for Art, Bri, JC and a number of others. :D

Ron, Jason, Joe, Bill, Brian, and a number of others. ;)

Sonnie Layne
06-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Yeah, but John, could you please shove that pic of me further down so that everyone visiting doesn't see me first off the base? I mean, it might not be good advertising (unless the visitors are female, hehe) ???

JC
06-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Soon very soon.

John Bridge
06-10-2002, 01:34 PM
Hey Sonnie,

That pic of you might be part of the reason for the phenomenal success of these boards. Think I'm gonna jeopardize that? :D

JC,

Sooner than "soon." :D

Cami A
06-10-2002, 01:38 PM
JC, just t u r n that digital camera around and say "cheese".... :D

Sonnie, this thread has currently been viewed 3800+ times. what's a few more people lookin' at ya? ;)

Sonnie Layne
06-10-2002, 01:40 PM
cute, real cute John. :)

Where's my royalty check?? :D :D

Bud Cline
06-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Where's your royalty check? Are you sure you don't mean reality check?

flatfloor
06-10-2002, 05:20 PM
Maybe he's thinking of a realty check? Makes no never mind ain't nobody gettin nuttin outta John. :)

Sonnie Layne
06-10-2002, 09:44 PM
do we not have a gramarrian amongst our midst? :)

Bud Cline
06-10-2002, 09:59 PM
"amongst our midsts"???

That's where I find myself after three margaritas:
amongst the midsts.

try sayin' that real fast ten times

Bud Cline
06-10-2002, 10:00 PM
amongst the midsts
amugnce the miths
amungs the mitts

shit

Sonnie Layne
06-10-2002, 10:11 PM
in the midst of our selfs
resting solidly
on our solid shelfs
arises a rattle beneath the stone
that binds our base
to our concept of solidity.
Let's not put our smooth side
outward, friend!

It'll likely do it again!!

hey, you axed for it.. :)

flatfloor
06-10-2002, 10:31 PM
Bigamist? that's a heavy fog over Italy. :D

Sonnie Layne
06-10-2002, 10:46 PM
ok, ok,,,,
"amongst our midsts"

Hey, I get poetic license, leave me be :D

no, come to think of it, I wasn't thinking of more than one common ground, so the term 'midst' stands. On this forum aside from trivial expenditures expelled from our egodded (read more poetic license, get used to it ;) ) senses, we all tend to come together. One midst, not plural.

On the other had, there is DIY.com where... well I don't know about the other forums, but in painting, one can hardly express an opinion, much less advise based on 30 years of experience without getting into an argument with some dickhead (bet you didn't know that I coined that term, eh? long story, but I'll share it :) ) The moderators are great, they just don't do their job.

sorry, off key again, John give me a B#???? :)

Paul D.
06-11-2002, 08:19 AM
Someone is definitely lost in the mist in our midst. ;)

Now Bud, having a margarita in your mitts in the midst of all this is probably what you missed.

Grammar is one thing, vocabulary another entirely. Then of course, there is circumlocution, prevarication and all those other -tions loading up John's server... :D

Sonnie Layne
06-11-2002, 08:42 AM
I plead guilty to the first, but not the second charge :)

Bud Cline
06-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Is this conversation turning to sex or what the hell do dim dare words means anyways?

Sonnie Layne
06-11-2002, 03:43 PM
means some of us tend to be long-winded liars, or something like that :D

John Bridge
06-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Well, do you think we ought to deny it? Or should we just hope the charge goes away? :D

flatfloor
06-11-2002, 05:58 PM
Who's getting circumsised?

Bud Cline
06-11-2002, 06:02 PM
Damn Jim...I wasn't going there.
You may want to go pet your favorite horse 'cause somthin' tells me his days are numbered.

John Bridge
07-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Laurie, our official CPA, has sent me some very nice pics of herself and husband and of her three daughters, all of whom are currently serving their country.

http://johnbridge.com/pics/ChuckLaurie.jpg
http://johnbridge.com/pics/laurie-daughters.jpg

Added 7-16-02

Laurie's son. Give us some names, Laurie.

http://johnbridge.com/pics/laurie-son.jpg

Copied this from a later post by Laurie on 7-17-02 JB

Excuse any repetitions here, but as per request, names (for those pics 2 pgs back): DH is Chuck (Smiley - how's that for a new last name for me? ) Daughters (L to R) Alexis (23) Lauren (22) Adrian (24); son is Rich (20).

Alexis is stationed in Va on the USS Saipan; getting married in Nov (both USN), she will be adopting his son so I will be a "grandma"; Lauren was married in May (both USMC, stationed in CA) and will be making me a "grandma" in March; Adrian is married (both USN), stationed on the USS Enterprise, but transferring to NY state to teach at a USN nuclear plant as of Oct/Nov. My son left college and is working with his dad as a truck/trailer mechanic.

I can tell you this - they sure are aging me fast since those pics taken a little more than a yr or two ago!

John, feel free to move this info to the pic if you wish.

Laurie

[Edited by John Bridge on 07-17-2002 at 08:49 PM]

Bud Cline
07-11-2002, 03:12 PM
My hats off to the whole clan.

Trouble is when they all get out they'll probably get into the tile business and that's just what we all need...more talented competition.

Cami A
07-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Laurie, you don't look any older than your daughters! I had to read the caption a few times to make sure that was really you! :)

flatfloor
07-11-2002, 08:20 PM
Best looking accountant and military I ever saw. :)

kdzgon
07-12-2002, 07:55 AM
Well, thanks guys! I could show you pics where I look older, too, but what fun would that be? :)

I sure do feel a heck of a lot older, though - my oldest daughter Adrian (right) married in May, 1999 and come Nov, the last of my daughters will be married (Alexis, far left) - I just returned from my youngest (center) daughter Lauren's wedding out in Calif 6 weeks ago, and yesterday found out I'm already going to be a grandma! Actually, I'll be one twice by March - Alexis' fiance has a 2 yr old son she will be adopting. I haven't adjusted to being a mother-in-law yet - never mind a grandmother!! God takes care of us, though - from the inside looking out, we're usually pretty ignorant of just how old we're getting! I certainly don't feel my age - unless, of course, I've spent 14 hrs tiling - my back starts reporting my age to me, and even the best kneepads can't save my knees any more! ;) (I'm still addicted, though!)

Thanks again for your help with the pics, John. I suspect my grandchildren will be starting school and I'll still be asking for help posting pics. I searched for instructions - I know they are here somewhere, but I never found them!

John Bridge
07-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Basically, you have to have your images parked on someone's web site: Yahoo, one of the other free sites, your site . . . . or my site. It's the only way they will show up here.

So, first figure out how to get your photos stored on the Internet. Then we'll tackle getting them posted here. ;)

Sonnie Layne
07-12-2002, 08:23 AM
Great looking family Laurie. Thanks. At least two of the three took the right turn ;). Well, seeing as how the marines are a branch of the navy, I guess we'll let her slide too :D

John Bridge
07-12-2002, 11:43 AM
http://www.army.mil/images/FINALv1_r3_c35.jpg

cx
07-12-2002, 12:21 PM
COAST GUARD

John Bridge
07-12-2002, 03:41 PM
Army is more macho. Got the rangers and the airborne and the green berets. Tough guys all. What's the Coast Guard got? Huh?

flatfloor
07-13-2002, 01:17 PM
The Coast Gaurd has NOT got: mud, dehydrated food, falling out of planes and copters practice, leaky tents, jungles, noisey bone jarring vehicles, marching to nowhere, 400 lb. back packs and insects in your pants. :D

Bud Cline
07-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, nonsense.

I'll put my trust in the http://shop.girlscouts.org/images/gs_servicemark.gif any night of the week.

flatfloor
07-13-2002, 06:54 PM

Sonnie Layne
07-13-2002, 09:07 PM
Sorry, I'm set up not to accept cookies :):)

John Bridge
07-13-2002, 09:13 PM
That was a pretty good speech, Flatfloor. Yep, a good one.

AND IT'S ALL TRUE! :(

Sonnie Layne
07-13-2002, 09:59 PM
I don't remember any of that either!

Coast Guard's just a spin off of the Navy as well, hrumpphh :) Had to do give some title to all those merchant marines that couldn't cut the mustard. :):)

cx
07-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Coast Guard DOES have:

Ships that rarely come south of the artic circle and spend their time INTENTIONALLY driving about through the ice.

Duty stations in the middle of the ocean, no more than half a mile long and a thousand feet wide where you get to stay for a year with nineteen other hairy legs and a dog. Sometimes two dogs.

Aircraft that are older than any of the people who fly them, even if you are stationed with some OLD guys.

Ships that are a lot older than the airplanes.

Ships that spend their time picking big buoys out of the water to change the batteries, but first they pewt the junior man ON the buoy with a big hammer to break off the ice so's he can hook on the cable. (Ain't NO WAY you ever get me on a Buoy Tender, even to visit).

Boats that are designed to ROLL OVER in the big waves, so everybody hasta wear SCUBA gear whilst driving them.

Airplanes with fixed wings that land on the water and scare the bejezzus outa everybody inside sometimes, even the crazy ones (don't know if they still have any of those. They were all way over 25 years old when I got out - some years ago).

Airplanes that have wings on top that go round an round and land on the water and scare the bejezzus outa everybody inside sometimes.

A higher percentage of casualties than any other branch in every war.

And lotsa other fun stuff. If we have a contest, I bet I can think of plenty more.

And flatfloor, I have had occasion, in the line of duty, to both jump out of and fall out of USCG helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

And it's the Coast Guard that is alla time going out in their boats and planes when everybody else is being told NOT to even think of going out in the ocean, and if out in the ocean, to come home immediately. USCG motto: You have to go out, you don't have to come back.

But the really big difference between the Coast Guard and the Army.....

The really, really big difference.....

[drum rooooolll]

You take the same test to enlist in either one - but to get in the Coast Guard, you actually have to PASS the test! :D

John Bridge
07-13-2002, 10:58 PM
Okay, well this is just too much to take. I mean, I was trying to be nice -- trying to bond, as it were, with my fellow servicemen. I was ready to put all the inter-service rivalry and advarice behind me after all these years . . . .

. . . . even though I happen to have served in the oldest, the proudest and certainly the most military of all the services, the one that has actually won all the wars throughout our history, nearly single-handed on accounta all the other wimpy services couldn't ever be depended upon to bring up the slack . . . .

I mean, I was even willing to concede that guys running around in little blue jumper suits sporting little white beenies on their heads should actually be taken seriously, the same guys who go through boot camp carrying wooden rifles, and . . . .

Well, I'm just too choked up to go on right now.

cx
07-14-2002, 12:00 AM
Oldest branch, John?

Might wanna check that out, too. :)

When you're not so choked up, of course. :D

John Bridge
07-14-2002, 09:46 AM
Now don't give me all that stale stuff about there being a service older than GW's Continental Army.

flatfloor
07-14-2002, 04:30 PM
Yes there was, the Baker St. Irregulars.

Geez CX I was just trying to be helpful, you don't have to bite my head off just because you were born in Buffalo near some lake and that made you a likely candidate for the CG and it was cold out there on a leaky boat in the middle of winter with no hope of seeing land until spring and there were sea monsters too. :D

BTW, I'm ex army, as ex as you can get. Discharged on my birthday, what a present. Actual it was the NYSNG 6 mos active duty in Ft Dix NJ. Supposedly I was an advanced infantryman but with my eyesight the only way I qualified with a rifle was by passing my ammo to a buddy next to me who shot up my target. I almost got Expert or one of those high ranking titles. :D

John Bridge
07-14-2002, 08:31 PM
See, I told you the Army had all the macho guys. Advanced Infantryman. They just don't come much more macho than that. National Guard, yet. I remember their motto way back then. It was very reassuring to those of us who were out in the boonies.

"You can sleep tonight, because the National Guard is awake." ;)

John Bridge
07-14-2002, 08:38 PM
I meant to put this here and ended up with it on a new thread. Double coverage, Jerry. :)

Just recieved from Jerry in Seattle.

"John here are a couple pictures of the lovely Patti J and I dressed up for
the wedding of my friend "Outhouse Charlie" World Famous Tile Setter"

http://johnbridge.com/pics/jerrytileguy1.jpg
http://johnbridge.com/pics/jerrytileguy2.jpg

flatfloor
07-15-2002, 08:24 AM
Actually most of us Guard guys were asleep except for those at a party but the enemy didn't know that.

Jerry, great pics, that must be a fun group.

kdzgon
07-15-2002, 11:12 AM
cx,

I'm not a history expert, but while I'd agree with much of your info, I'd challenge your statement of "A higher percentage of casualties than any other branch in every war." one example: Vietnam War - USCG - 7 out of 8000 (<1%), USMC 14,836 out of 294000 (>5%). (The Army is the branch with the greatest number of casualties overall - over 65% of all military deaths in Vietnam were Army.)

In fact, according to the USCG site, there were no CG deaths in the War of 1812, Spanish American War, Korean War, Grenada, Panama, or Gulf Wars. (link here: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/faqs/wars.html)

Despite the conflicting numbers, IMHO, a Patriot is a Patriot - and I thank and salute ALL those willing to step up and serve, both then and now, 'cause there are simply too many nowadays that are not only not willing to serve, but they ridicule those that protect our freedoms every day.

flatfloor
07-15-2002, 03:18 PM
Laurie, re your last paragraph, hasn't that turned around some since the Gulf War and 9/11? At least I hope so.

John Bridge
07-15-2002, 08:38 PM
whew! :D

cx
07-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Hey, John, please 'splain to Laurie that when we're havin' a serious inter-service rivalry discussion, the last thing we need is somebody throwing FACTS at us!!! I hate it when that happens! :)

I could dispute much of that by saying most of them things weren't WARS, Laurie, but that would be too easy. Besides, you gonna believe government statistics, specially when they have a lotta footnotes and asterisks with disclaimers and stuff?
Geeez! :D

That's an interesting site, though. But I couldn't even get very nostalgic. The C-130 is the only piece of equipment the aviation side has that we had when I was in. They even have FRENCH helicopters!!! Now what's that all about? They don't even show the NEW helicopter that came on board as I was getting out in 1968. Progress can be sad, and make a fella feel old.

C(Semper Paratus)X

Bud Cline
07-15-2002, 09:38 PM
Isn't it about time someone sent in another family portrait or some pictures of their cat just to keep this thread on track?

This is the *****PHOTO ALBUM***** you know.

kdzgon
07-16-2002, 05:26 AM
cx,
I woulda bet you'd use that argument (not wars) but then, I got the info from the USCG site, so....besides, it only takes one "war" to disprove your statement, so it worked, anyway. :) (BTW, those C130s are still workhorses of the military, so what does that tell you?)

Jim, I wish I could say it's changed a lot since Sept 11, but that is not the case. People do give it more lip service, and flew more flags for a while (already a significant decline in displaying the flag since 9/11), but military service is still often considered a job for "someone else" to do. In many areas, it is considered an option only for those not "smart enough" for college, or in need of a way out of a bad neighborhood, etc. The money continues to improve, but there is little pride left from within, in part because there is little respect from the country in general. The equipment is so outdated, it's scary.

But, in the interest of putting this thread back on track, I'm sending John a pic of my son to complete my entries! ;)

Laurie

John Bridge
07-16-2002, 02:38 PM
Added a picture of Laurie's son two pages back.

flatfloor
07-16-2002, 08:25 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:z_i0eGBF2zIC:www.moggies.co.uk/catsgall/funnies

Sonnie Layne
07-16-2002, 08:40 PM
Hey Jim, rough night?? :)

kdzgon
07-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Excuse any repetitions here, but as per request, names (for those pics 2 pgs back): DH is Chuck (Smiley - how's that for a new last name for me? :) ) Daughters (L to R) Alexis (23) Lauren (22) Adrian (24); son is Rich (20).

Alexis is stationed in Va on the USS Saipan; getting married in Nov (both USN), she will be adopting his son so I will be a "grandma"; Lauren was married in May (both USMC, stationed in CA) and will be making me a "grandma" in March; Adrian is married (both USN), stationed on the USS Enterprise, but transferring to NY state to teach at a USN nuclear plant as of Oct/Nov. My son left college and is working with his dad as a truck/trailer mechanic.

I can tell you this - they sure are aging me fast since those pics taken a little more than a yr or two ago!

John, feel free to move this info to the pic if you wish.

Laurie

I'll copy this and put it along with the photos. JB

[Edited by John Bridge on 07-17-2002 at 08:47 PM]

flatfloor
07-16-2002, 09:16 PM
Bud asked for that picture, I'm just trying to humor him. You know what an animal lover he is. :)

kdzgon
07-16-2002, 09:26 PM
No animal lover likes that pic, Jim :D

Sonnie Layne
07-16-2002, 09:37 PM
snicker snicker ;)

cx
07-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Au Contraire, Mada-mozel Laurie!

I, CX, am an animal lover non pareil, and I pure-D LOVE that picture.

Cat obviously flunked his swimming lesson, though. :D

[Hey, John, correct my frog spellin' if it ain't right, ok?]

Sonnie Layne
07-16-2002, 10:25 PM
wait, wait wait...
that's a cat???

Oh, sorry Jim :)

John Bridge
07-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Ca c'est un chat -- un chat tres wet. :D

kdzgon
07-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Ou, un chat très humide, n'est-ce pas? NAH. It's just ugly!

John Bridge
07-18-2002, 05:00 PM
All I want to know is how you get the accent marks over the vowels. :D

cx
07-18-2002, 05:10 PM
Mas oui, but looks like un chat tres pissed off to moi! :D

kdzgon
08-01-2002, 01:24 PM
time to put this thread back on track - here is a photo from my daughter's wedding in SoCal

http://images.snapfish.com/334%3B45%3A723232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2327%3D467%3D97%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3C69%3B7433ot1lsi

That's me (with my new hubby) to the left - the bride & 2 girls in front are my 3 daughters (my son is not in pic) - rest are the groom & (part of) his family.

Laurie

flatfloor
08-01-2002, 01:42 PM
Great looking group! Another Marine joining your army? :)

Sonnie Layne
08-01-2002, 02:18 PM
I could have sworn you were all sisters...

Cami A
08-01-2002, 02:46 PM
Looks like a fabulous wedding, Laurie!

John Bridge
08-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Looks like a wonderful group, Laurie. Who's the guy in the embassy guard outfit?

kdzgon
08-02-2002, 08:52 AM
Thanks, all! :)

Yes, John, that'd be my new SIL, trying desperately to stand up/look alive/survive, even (His friends brought him back in a shopping cart the evening before. "Poor" SOB "discovered" the difference between drinking beer and drinking lots of shots along with/instead of them beers...) As he is a career guy, now married into a family with lots of navy guys/gals (incl my next SIL as of Nov), you can be sure he has heard and will hear many of those comments... :D

We had a great time, and I've gotta say, a military crowd is usually a fun group.

rj
08-07-2002, 08:54 PM
Hey Laurie.....great looking group...but how come you and
all your offspring are showing off their pearly whites......
but the groom's side all look so.... ?
they weren't chewin' tobacco on nuthin' were they ? ;)
:D :D

Sonnie Layne
08-07-2002, 10:16 PM
They're all sisters,,, this game has gone on long enough.;)

kdzgon
08-07-2002, 11:50 PM
RJ,

Dunno, but my first guess would be it has something to do with the fact none of them had ever been out of Alabama - ever- before that morning....kinda had that "deer (or is it moose?) in the headlights" look most of the day. :cool:

Laurie

Sonnie Layne
08-08-2002, 12:19 AM
Laurie,

Moose, in AL, is something you put in your hair :):)

Hell, if they ever saw a full bull moose in AL, they'd call the national guard!!!! SSSCCCCAaarreeeyyyyyy

On the other hand there

is some the hair

there

sorry,

PL reserved

John Bridge
10-22-2002, 11:34 AM
Left to right, Wife Michaelene, RJ, Natalie (8), Katrina (11).
http://johnbridge.com/pics/rjkuka1.jpg

RJ sent me a picture of just himself in case people couldn't see him well enough in the group shot. :D
http://johnbridge.com/pics/rjkuka2.jpg

Bud Cline
10-22-2002, 01:28 PM
Is rj from Wisconsin with a brother that works in the Carolinas? Strong resemblance to DG i'd say.

kdzgon
10-22-2002, 01:35 PM
Nice family, RJ (and nice scenery, despite some comments re: our neck of the woods :)).

rj's photos encouraged me to go back over the thread, looking for other entries, of which many are still missing (and that cat is beyond its' welcome)....

Originally posted by John Bridge
Thought I would just shove this back to the top as a reminder that there are a few characters around here who have not submitted. They shall remain nameless for the time being, except for Art, Bri, JC and a number of others. :D

Ron, Jason, Joe, Bill, Brian, and a number of others. ;)

to which we can add Howard, Todd, lots of engineers, Dave, Scott, Peggy, Sue (and she's an official hostess!) and still a number of others - like Jim's Kathleen... ;)

flatfloor
10-22-2002, 02:04 PM
RJ, great looking family. (and you too)

Looks like you might match up with Rob pretty good.

John Bridge
10-22-2002, 02:14 PM
I just realized that's an emblem on his shirt. I was thinking he had a ribbon on his pig tail. :D

Bud Cline
10-22-2002, 03:06 PM
John.....ahem...

That's a pony tail not a pig tail.:)

Now if Ida said that Ida be in big trouble.

flatfloor
10-22-2002, 03:18 PM
Why would Ida say that?

Bud Cline
10-22-2002, 04:43 PM
You know how she is!!!

Ida Muttin. She's a sister.

flatfloor
10-22-2002, 04:54 PM
groooaaan !

tileguytodd
10-22-2002, 05:06 PM