New tile saw vibration. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New tile saw vibration.

MGMaxwell
10-16-2002, 07:20 PM
I am building a house in North Carolina, which is 452 miles from my home in Jacksonville,Fl. I am installing porcelain tile in the kitchen now, and will be using ceramic tile in my bathrooms. Since I am doing this three days at a time over two years my wife gave me permission to buy a tile saw rather than rent. I bought an MK 660. The sliding platform is smaller than my 12 inch tile, and as the blade starts to cut the tile it has a fine vibration that results in some chipping and/or cracking. I called customer service, and they suggested upgrading the standard 200 blade with a 315 or 415. I will do that if you all agree that it will help. I wondered if enlarging the surface the tile rests on so that it is not hanging over the edge would help if upgrading the blade does not?

Sponsored Links

Lunicy
10-16-2002, 07:46 PM
If it vibrating, it means something is off balance. Most likely the blade. The blade is the biggest piece of rotating mass on the saw. Make sure the blade is mounted properly, and tight.

Bud Cline
10-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Is the blade height adjustable on that monster?

If so...try raising the blade a little so that the angle of attack isn't so aggressive. Set the blade so that it is about 1/16" into the table groove and see what happens.

Just an idea.

ninemile
10-16-2002, 08:41 PM
What kind of tile are you cutting? How fast are you feeding the piece into the saw? Perhaps slowing down a bit on your feed may help. If that doesn't help try a better blade. It worked for my cutting very hard 1/2" quarry tile for smoother and faster cuts. Colleen

John Bridge
10-16-2002, 08:53 PM
All of the suggestions are worthwhile, but I'll go with David. Most saw vibrations are caused by blades that are not balanced. I buy cheap blades. I know. :D

Welcome, MG.

Jerry The Tile Guy
10-16-2002, 08:57 PM
I would change the blade also.
I bought a Pearl saw last week. VX 10.2
Has an articulating (spl) bed that extends in stages. will cut 24".
Will use it for the first time next week. I will keep you posted.

MGMaxwell
10-17-2002, 06:31 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. What I've found so far is that the big boxes don't have a large selection of blades.Today I'll try real tile stores. When the saw is running I can put my finger next to the blade and feel fine wobble. I don't have enough experience to know how much is normal. My feed rate was pretty slow already, but I will try raising the blade.

tileguytodd
10-17-2002, 06:36 AM
Shoulda Bought a Felker Tile Saw,well there is always next time :)