grouting mosaic gradient [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : grouting mosaic gradient

tunafish
05-30-2006, 12:52 PM
I have a glass mosaic gradient shading from very deep purple to ice pink which is about 9ft tall. the rest of the walls are tiled in a blend close to the shades in the middle. Q is how to grout it. I was thinking darker gray, so it looks good with the purple colors, but what about the light area. Have you ever heard of grouting top with one color and bottom with another (I would hate to do it in my mind). any suggestions on how to handle this are appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

tunafish
05-30-2006, 07:21 PM
up

jdm
05-30-2006, 10:45 PM
It's totally safe to intermix different colors of the same grout. So, you could buy a grout that matches the dark end, and one that matches the light end. Mix up a bunch of each, and then you can mix the two together in small batchers, changing the ratio of the colors as you move along the gradient. It will take a bit of experimenting, but you should be able to make the grout fade along with the tile.

librarygirl
05-31-2006, 07:50 AM
Hey Andy-

Great tile by the way...but I wouldn't do the grout as a gradient. With this blend of colors I think I would pick a tone close to the middle grey and use it throughout. That way your eye will notice the change in colors more as they shift against a consistent field.

um, and should I admit at this point that I'm an architect? :crazy: Yeah, I've got opinions about lots of stuff.

Mary

jdm
05-31-2006, 08:01 AM
OK, Andy --

Reverse my previous suggestion. Install the grout gradient, but put the darkest grout around the lightest tiles, and lighten the grout as the tiles get darker.

Just kidding.

mosquito
05-31-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm going to do the same tile in my bathroom in the charcoal to porcelain. I am going to try the laticrete grout and additive all in one step, so mine will have to be all one color. I'm going to try out a sample board first though.

tunafish
05-31-2006, 09:22 AM
It's tough! I got both Mapei and Customs colors and it really looks like the only good one is a mid grey. Darker grey will be better for purple, but will be way too much for the top.

I have to think about mixing two colors and try to run a gradient form like light grey to dark grey.