Backsplash & outlets [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Backsplash & outlets

mack113054
10-13-2002, 11:36 AM
I have just installed my first counter top and backsplach in tile but now I have a problem. My outlets and light switches on my backsplash, how do I raise them even with the tile for the covers or is there a special way i need to do the switches and outlets? Please help, I would love to get this project done so I can move on to the bathroom.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
10-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Hi Mack, Welcome.

I think what you want to do is bring the outlets and switches forward? Usually, all it takes is longer screws. If you didn't cut the tile close enough to catch the "ears" on the switches, you can use some sort of spacer behind it.

MikeC
10-13-2002, 12:13 PM
MACK, John's idea is the easiest way to do it.... if it ain't to late now. If it is to late Home depot sells electrical box extenders, they're blue plastic, about 3/4" in depth. Just another idea.

ninemile
10-14-2002, 07:54 PM
To space out the electrical outlets or switches go to Hell D* or some other store and get a couple packages of spacers. They're bright orange plastic(well, mine were) and they fit around the screws to space the outlet out from the box to match the new surface height. They work like a charm and are $1.00/pkg.

I used them for my backsplash when I made a custom brushed aluminum and added GFI's. Saved the day. Normally your screws should be long enough. Colleen

pete
10-14-2002, 10:34 PM
hey I asked the same question about 2 weeks ago and you weren't that nice to me :). There were 2 pages of "iam right, no I am right". Maybe I just have of those faces ????Keep up the good work fellas and madams, of course. Happy days