Help! $100 per tile cost to cut tiles? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Help! $100 per tile cost to cut tiles?

verngator
05-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Am hoping for suggestions/strategies here...

We have been working on a kitchen remodel to include granite tile countertop:

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35477

...and have had a DEVIL of a time getting a fabricator to do our tiny little job:

Just six little tiles. We bought bullnose and our friend has a bridge saw to make straight cuts. But we can't make the required curved cuts for the sink, polish those same cuts, or cut the round holes for the faucet and soap dispenser.

We finally found a guy who would do it, for $250. We've been making steady progress...the DITRA is down and all the other tiles are cut and ready to go. Suddenly our guy was in a car accident (!) and now he is out of commission, poor guy. I've been calling around and most of the fabricators say the job is too small. The best I can do is $600 and three weeks' time. I am starting to regret that we ever did the granite tile now. :crap:

Any other suggestions? We aren't skilled enough to do this ourselves.

Sponsored Links

e3
05-12-2006, 01:26 PM
tell us where your located?

verngator
05-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Pinellas County...

DonB
05-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Any other suggestions? We aren't skilled enough to do this ourselves.

Change sinks to one like this that doesn't require any hole drilling or edge fabrication. Just cut your tile and drop the sucker in.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18988&stc=1

Don

verngator
05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Sink is installed! We wouldn't have gone this far if we hadn't already found someone to do the work...

John Bridge
05-12-2006, 04:12 PM
How much is the sink worth? $600? :)

I would go with a self-rimming sink at this point. You might find that the fabricator doesn't do the job to your specs. They are not used to working with tiles (that have to match from piece to piece). They are pros at slabs. :)

verngator
05-13-2006, 09:42 AM
My guy will be able to cut the tiles after all. We are measuring and marking them up this morning, he will take 'em home & get them done for us in a couple days as planned. I'll post pix soon...

jdm
05-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Good for you.

Undermount sinks are so much nicer than self-rimming.

No lip to catch dirt, and you can wipe spills and drips right into the sink.

Shows off the stone, too.

Post a picture (picher to you Texans) when it's a done deal.