How long should I wait to grout? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How long should I wait to grout?

BoiseXJ
10-10-2002, 09:04 PM
How long should I let the thinset under my 12x12 floor tile set up before I grout? Is 40 hours sufficient?

Also, we tiled a different area and we used WAY more sealant than the instructions said, and it still doesn't seem waterproof. We kept putting sealant on and the grout kept soaking it up. The instructions said that after 2 or 3 coats (at most) it should have 'puddles' that we should wipe up. Ours never did, so we put on like 3 or 4 coats and called it good, but now water doesn't seem to bead on the grout... did we do something wrong?

(the first question is the higher priority right now though)

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
10-10-2002, 09:50 PM
Hi Boise

40 hours should be sufficient for most types of tile.

What brand/type of sealer did you use? How did you apply it?

BoiseXJ
10-10-2002, 10:03 PM
I used TileLab 'SurfaceGard Penetrating Sealer'. That's the type my Grout recommended. We applied it with sponge-type paint brushes...

John Bridge
10-11-2002, 06:25 PM
Hi Boise,

I've heard other people complain about Tile Lab sealers. I think Aquamix is a better way to go.

http://www.aquamix.com

BoiseXJ
10-14-2002, 06:39 PM
Can I put aquamix right over the existing tile lab sealer?

Rob Z
10-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Hi Boise

Better let KW comment on all things Aqua Mix. I'll send him this way soon.

I agree with John about the Aqua Mix. They have never let me down.

BoiseXJ
10-16-2002, 10:38 AM
I guess I need to remove the Tile Lab sealer... any ideas on how to do that?

John Bridge
10-16-2002, 04:42 PM
I'm not a tech, but why not try the Aquamix right over the top in an inconspicuous spot. I don't think there's going to be a problem.

Where is our esteemed Aquamix techie? ;)

KW
10-16-2002, 04:51 PM
Hey Boise,

No need to remove the existing penetrating sealer. Allow to dry (cure) for a few days, then apply Aquamix Sealers Choice 15 Gold. Apply SC15 with a clean rag over tile and grout. Wait 3 to 5 mins.-- buff off excess with clean dry towel. two light applications are better than one heavy.

Hope this Helps
KW

Sue20
10-16-2002, 05:17 PM
Hi Boise, Just wanted to say welcome, and give you my grandma's words of advice "watched water never boils", if you leave it alone it will dry faster....if you sit there watching it dry, it will take longer. Sorry, I just couldn't resist the easy smart alec remark, I have no self control.....just wanted to welcome you in and tell you to listen to these great guys, they won't steer you wrong.....Silly Sue