filling in gap under tile? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : filling in gap under tile?

Ased
05-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Hello All. Thanks for all the great advice. I just finished tiling my ensuite bathroom. I used plywood underlayment on top of the existing 5/8 OSB. Then, used ditra on top of the plywood underlayment.

The adjoining bedroom is carpet. At the DOORWAY transition, my plywood underlayment was short about 1/4 of an inch. I had spent quite a bit of time cutting the end tiles square, and didn't want to trim them 1/4 of an inch.

I used a metal channel that I put in with thinset under the edge of the tile, but now I am left with a 1/4 inch overhang of the edge of the tile over the underlayment.

1) My question is what would be the best way to fill in this overhand under the tiles i.e. cement ?

2) After filling in, would there be problems with the tile loosening or cracking should someone step on the edge?

3) If there is potential for future problems, then should I get a grinder and trim the edge of the tiles back?

Thanks for your help, please refer to the picture if I am not making any sense!

Sponsored Links

JTG
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
ASED
Use your mixing trowel and fill that void with mortar. Push it in real tight and use a sponge to dress off the face.
If this is going to be exposed fill it with grout. You might have to redo the grout from time to time.
If you need to rise the carpet to make the transition flush you will find that there are ramps made to do that or some carpet guys do it with shingles.
Good luck
JTG

Ased
05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the reply!

This may be a silly question, but what type of mortar should I use?

I am assuming that the thinset wouldn't be suitable for a the 1/2 height buildup.

I am hoping there would be a small package of the mortar that I would be able to purchase at HD?

thanks

JTG
05-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I would do it with the mortar you used to set the floor.
JTG

Ased
05-08-2006, 10:03 PM
I used flexbond to set the tiles. I know ditra recommends unmodified, but I am not planning on grouting the tiles for a few weeks.

I'll use the flexbond, my only concern was at 1/2" height buildup it might sag a bit and thus not fill the void completely.

thanks for the advice

JTG
05-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Mix it a little stiff you will be fine.
JTG