do I need a new shower pan? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : do I need a new shower pan?

deborah
10-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Hi.My 12 year old tiled shower has lost grout in the floor and between the floor and walls. The pan is not leaking(thank goodness because the shower is above the livingroom) But there is water UNDER the tiles. Do I need to tear the whole thing out or can i pull up tiles and re-tile the floor? I would love to re-tile the whole shower but I think it is going to be really expensive. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
10-06-2002, 09:36 PM
You can remove the floor tiles and install new ones without too much hassle.

There is a chance you can also simply tile over the old tile on the walls, just depends how your walls are arranged now. It doesn't have to cost that much, you may be surprised.

We can help if you decide to do it.

If you can get us some pictures this would be super helpful.

deborah
10-06-2002, 09:50 PM
Great! That is a much better answer than I expected.I will pull out my camera tomorrow and get some photos up. The shower could really use some help.. its 1989 white 4x4 shiny with handpainted flowers that really are beginning to look dated.
Thanks for the encouragement.

John Bridge
10-07-2002, 05:59 AM
Hi Deborah, Welcome. :)

Before you get too euphoric, there's a chance you'll need a little more work than that. Something is keeping water from draining out of the floor. That needs to be determined and cured. Then you can put new tile on the floor.

deborah
10-07-2002, 09:19 AM
I think I have some photos that might help you help me. There is missing grout in the floor of this shower and loose sections of tile. Water squishes up when the loose tile is pressed down. Thanks!!!
http://home.earthlink.net/~trcotta

John Bridge
10-07-2002, 05:14 PM
Hi Deborah,

Looks like 4-1/4 tile on the floor. I would remove all of them with a hammer and flat chisel. I would then let the floor dry out completely -- will take a week or longer. Then I would go back in with 1x1 or 2x2 mosaic tiles.

The floor doesn't look worth mending.

After I removed the tiles, I would probably very carefully did down through the mortar all the way around the drain. I would clean the mess out and remove the upper flange from the drain assembly. I would clean out all the weep holes and re-attach the drain. Then put in a little new mortar.

deborah
10-08-2002, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the help. Do you think that I could re tile directly over the walls or should I hammer them down as well?

John Bridge
10-08-2002, 05:41 AM
Originally, you were trying to fix the floor, I though. If you intend to change the walls, we'll have you tear out the entire shower right back to the studs and down to the subfloor. You can then start over and do everything right -- new shower pan, the works. :)

tileguytodd
10-08-2002, 07:33 AM
Welcome to the Forum Deborah :)
To give you an idea about costs to do a 3x3x8shower
Materials:
New drain,Sand mix, Pan Liner 50-60.00
CBU ,tape,nails................60-70.00
Wall tile and trim 4 1/4 x 4 1/4" 200-300.00
Floor tile ......................25.00-40.00
Thinset,Grout.......................40.00
Fixtures(soap dish ,corner shelf ,etc 15.00- 50.00
Misc Lumber,shims etc...............20.00-???
These Prices will vary according to locale and are just a guideline intended to give you an Idea.

So,on the lowend your looking at around 400.00+
On the highend,the skies the limit however for an expensive tile your still not going to be much over 700.00

Labor for tearing out and installing a pan,doing CBU work and tiling may run 800.00-1400.00 depending on where you live.
So,for 5-600.00 you can have a 2000.00 shower.Just take your time and follow the instructional material you can get here and you will have a great place to wake yourself up in the morning.A place that wont make you feel like Biting the shower head :D

deborah
10-08-2002, 04:01 PM
Oh Boy... This is going to be a real "learning" experience i can tell now! When I told my husband the part about drying out the shower for 2 weeks he could not believe it. Wait until I tell him I am going to take a crowbar to the walls.. but Todd is right about wanted to bite the shower head only it is worse.. I am starting to avoid TAKING a shower, and I cannot afford taking a 2000.00 "bath" by hiring the work done ( No offence to any of you professionals..)

flatfloor
10-08-2002, 04:08 PM
Well, we do know a guy who will come in and do the whole job for $200 but he won't be out of the sanitarium for another month. :D

John Bridge
10-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Deborah,

You won't be depriving anyone here by building your own shower. There are still plenty of folks out there who will suport us. ;)

tape up the shower drain before start tearing things up. ;)

deborah
10-08-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks! I intend to do ALOT of research before the crowbar part.