Silly Schluter Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Silly Schluter Question

weed30
10-03-2002, 08:51 PM
My tile guy says I need a schluter between the tile and the carpet. Then I see posts referring to Schluter Ditra.

So is Schluter a brand name of many products?

I do love that name/word! :)

Sponsored Links

Harry
10-03-2002, 08:58 PM
Yep ... they make all kinds of goodies including the transition hardware for between your tile and carpet.

weed30
10-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Well that's good then, because "schluter" has become the catch-all word for our remodel. Whenever we run into a problem, (ie: our picture window needs a special trim job, or when the backplates on the siding were too small for our lights), we say "No problem! It just needs a schluter!"

Sorry, it's late and that word just cracks me up :D

flatfloor
10-04-2002, 09:28 AM
Substitute shooter for Schluter and you'll have even more fun! Can't guarantee the workmanship tho. ;)

John Bridge
10-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Wendy,

In between bursts of laughter, check out their site.

http://www.schluter.com

IMHO you don't need anything between tile and carpet. I like to tuck the rug directly against the tile with the use of a simple tack strip (tackless strip).

Where you been hidin', Harry? :)

weed30
10-04-2002, 10:06 PM
"IMHO you don't need anything between tile and carpet"

Oh, there is no way I'm not going to have at least one schluter in my home!

That is the first thing I plan to show off: "Hey, check out my schluter!"

:cool:

tileguytodd
10-05-2002, 01:16 AM
I used to do as john and tuck the edge in the same manner.or roll and tuck depending on circumstance.
Ive done quite a few repairs to chipped tile edges with this same type edge.Now ,i use schluter always at carpet edges.just a little added insurance for protecting the edge.Also,a cut Tile edge can be rather sharp,especially if a carpet of questionble quality is used or low nap carpets and berbers.Schluter really helps under these conditions.

John Bridge
10-05-2002, 05:38 AM
You just want to please her with a "schluter." :D

weed30
10-05-2002, 06:28 AM
Now don't all you guys start bragging about your schluters...

:eek:

Bud Cline
10-05-2002, 08:35 AM
I used to have John's "It's good enough" attitude about carpet to tile transitions also but like Todd says I too have seen a lot of chipped tile at those locations.

I recommend a metal tile edging (Schluter) at all door junctures darned near.

flatfloor
10-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Odd, Cami is strangely absent from this. ;)

John Bridge
10-05-2002, 04:44 PM
John has never had the "it's good enough attitude," except when it's really good. :D

The tile to carpet transition is routine. You guys are tryin' to sell schluters, that's all. ;)

Cami A
10-05-2002, 04:54 PM
Cami is trying to keep it PG-rated, and isn't saying what....ummm...sprung to mind. ;)

Bud Cline
10-05-2002, 09:26 PM
"D-A-M-N"
I thought that would get a bigger rise out of John than it did. Wait till he has a few more Milwaukee's then reads it.:)

stullis
10-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Specifically get the Schluter Reno TK line for your tile to carpet transitions especially if there is going to be a loop piled carpet installed.

Milwaukee? I thought John was a Lone Star man. schluter that! ;)

Bud Cline
10-05-2002, 11:16 PM
http://www.schluter.com/english/products/2002/sectiona/renotk/104-ill-index.jpg
Schluter RENO-TK

weed30
10-05-2002, 11:26 PM
I'm now the proud owner of a Schluter!! Got a "Schiene", and it looks quite lovely between the carpet and tile.

Also came up with a new drink: The Schluter Shooter.

(In keeping with the assumed German origination of the Schluter):

1 part Jaegermeister
1 part Rumpleminze
splash of club soda

Pour ingredients over ice. Strain into shot glasses. Hold on to hat, if wearing.

:eek:**Warning**:eek:

Not responsible for grout lines after drinking Schluter Shooters.

John Bridge
10-06-2002, 08:03 AM
When I was in Germany we referred to jaegermeister as "early morning coffee." ;)

Bud Cline
10-06-2002, 09:50 AM
OK GLOBETROTTERS what the hell is it? Not the Schluter Shooter thing, the other stuff that goes in it, and speak english please.

John Bridge
10-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Very potent schnapps. Makes you go "wow!"

Cami A
10-06-2002, 09:58 AM
You don't have to leave the US to drink those, Bud. That's a "Screamin' Nazi" that weed was pouring. (Hey, I don't make up the drink names, I just fix 'em....) The Jaeger is licorice, the Rumple is mint. Put a handful of Altoids in your mouth and rinse with club soda for the non-alcoholic version... :D

Bud Cline
10-06-2002, 10:09 AM
O I C,

Used to keep a pint of Schnapps under my seat of my truck back in the good ole days, great warmer upper in the winter when working outside.

Also used to chase a lobster dinner with a little anice on crushed ice also, but like I said that was in the Good Ole Days.

Waxer
10-06-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by weed30
I'm now the proud owner of a Schluter

I have the best of both worlds. I have the Kerdi mat 76" up my from the shower base all the way around and laticrete 9235 in and around the double niche in the shower as well as on and around the "Better Bench". Im so proud of what has gone in to the prep of this shower *behind* the tile I am debating whether to tile it at all :). Maybe there is a way to incorporate a small glass tile so one can see the great waterproofing!