Pop ups [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pop ups

flatfloor
10-03-2002, 05:41 PM
Seems there is software out there that stops these things, this from people on the FCI board that have used this one and are quite happy http://www.popupstopper.com another mentioned was Ad-Aware by LavaSoft.

Sponsored Links

Hobbit
10-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Their site says they have a "free" version. ????? Have you tried this thing??:)

:):)

Cami A
10-03-2002, 06:39 PM
We had the same discussion here not too long ago. I run the Ad-aware every once in a while- nice program.

flatfloor
10-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Howard, no I haven't tried it yet, I'm basically chicken when it comes to installing stuff on my computer. Not afraid of the installation just afraid of screwing up la machine. But I think I'm about to make an exception.

Cami, I remembered that's why I posted this. Question; I run the Ad-aware every once in a while- nice program I don't follow, you run it once in a while? Doesn't it just run and block the ads?

Cami A
10-03-2002, 07:02 PM
No, the ad-aware is a program that finds spyware proggies that are in the 'puter. They can be any number of things- some of them will replace pop-up ads with different versions- others do insidious things like link keywords in messages to paid sites. Some of them "just" track where you go on the web.

I just ran Ad-aware again in between these posts, and found two cookies on Jack's "half" of the 'puter. Delete, Delete....

Hobbit
10-03-2002, 07:08 PM
does Ad-aware block pop-ups??? Or??....Not??:)

:):)

Cami A
10-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Not that I know of....but I can't remember what a pop-up looks like, so how would I know? :D:D:D

Opera rules...

flatfloor
10-03-2002, 07:22 PM
What does it do to friendly cookies? i.e. John B's

Cami A
10-03-2002, 07:30 PM
It only points out spyware- it doesn't look for site-specific cookies.

You then have the option of deleting them or keeping them, and there's a "restore" function if you delete a program that you wanted to keep.

IBJT
10-03-2002, 07:45 PM
is what I use, and it works great. It integrates with Norton System works very nicely.

I found a link a couple days ago to a site where you can get very good deals on Norton software. (The 2003 stuff is out now so 2002 stuff is really cheap. The 2002 stuff still has 1 year of update's after you put it on the computer.)

The System works 2002 was about $12.99 and 2003 was $34.99 or so.
They have good Norton Internet Security 2002 for $14.95.

http://store.yahoo.com/bestpcdeals/utilities.html

At those prices you are getting a CD disk. It's OEM software without a manual, however the manual is on the CD and also available online.

I have AdAware plus, I used AdAware for free and liked it so I gave about $10 for the upgrade version. I don't think it removes pop-ups. I use it periodically to scan for cookies and stealth programs that send info back to sponsor. It's a good program. Since I got Norton IS, I usually just run it instead of always running AdAware.

;);) :D ;);)

davem
10-03-2002, 08:32 PM
Try switching to Opera or Mozilla. If you do, you can stop running Microsoft Internet Explorer, which is one of the biggest security holes on your computer. Both Opera and Mozilla browsers have pop up control built in.

JC
10-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Pop-up? Whats a pop-up... What are they talking about Cami?

IBJT
10-03-2002, 09:51 PM
Dave:

I took your suggestions to heart. Downloaded Opera for Windows.

So far so Good!

I had originally axed you how to import my IE bookmarks. I just discovered that it did that all by it self.

It seems a lot faster than IE. ;););)

[Edited by IBJT on 10-04-2002 at 12:12 AM]

davem
10-04-2002, 06:31 AM
Cool! Now if you get tired of the ad's and don't want to pay for the upgrade, try Mozilla. It be cool too! :)

Cami A
10-04-2002, 07:00 AM
JT, wander over to the confuser forum- JC and I had a few discussions on Opera tips and tricks a while back. Have you enabled the mouse gestures yet? That's the best.

A few strange things- sometimes you'll actually need to enable popups to view part of a webpage. This happens most frequently if you shop on the 'net- all those color swatches are on pop-ups.

Hit your F12 key for quick preference changes.

Another thing you'll notice is that very infrequently, pages are only set up for viewing in IE. You can attempt to get around this by changing your "identify as" preference (F12 again) to IE (or Mozilla- that's usually what I identify as). Then refresh and try again.

Now hit your F11 key for fun. :D

Dave, what are differences between Mozilla and Opera?

davem
10-04-2002, 07:17 AM
The ads? :)
Honestly Cami, I only spent an evening with opera about a year ago. It didn't fit right with me. I'm sure I would be happier with it than IE, but I spend so much time in Linux that I have free browser choices like crazy. When I have a choice between free, pay or ads, with quality being the same, guess what wins? :)

But I'm wondering, what's a mouse gesture?

Cami A
10-04-2002, 07:30 AM
Enabling the mouse gestures lets you use your mouse to go back and forth in the pages in your history, scroll between your open windows, or create a new window.

The downside to it is that when you're using an "unconverted" 'puter, it seems like twice the pita to have to locate the back button and click on it... :D:D:D

davem
10-04-2002, 07:44 AM
That sounds clever. :) Don't you just love tabs? I still can't believe IE doesn't have them yet.

R.C.
10-04-2002, 08:05 AM
I have been running Pop-up Stopper from Panicware with Internet Explorer for a few months now and like it. It stops most(90%) of the pop-ups on it's less agressive setting. The best part is that it makes a gun shot sound everytime it kills a pop-up ad. The only problem I have is that it interferes with my printer, I think because it has pop-up status windows. I have to stop running the program to keep my printer program from freezing up. I tried Earthlink's free pop-up killer and it stunk.

As mention by some of you and in an article on Time Magazine's website about spy-ware, I downloaded Ad-aware and removed 59 spy-ware items. Mostly bits and pieces left over from Kazaa. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ryan

JC
10-04-2002, 09:09 PM
To me Mozilla is like Netscape 3.0 back in the pre-AOL days.
I use Mozilla when in Linux also but I have not yet tried the Linux Opera yet though.

davem
10-05-2002, 07:18 AM
JC, have you tried Mozilla since it went 1.0? It's a whole new thing now. These guys have taken it way beyond Netscape. Actually I'm in Windows this morning and I'm running Mozilla 1.1.

John Bridge
10-05-2002, 08:15 PM
How do you guys go back and forth between Windows and Linux? Sounds like cheating to me. :)

davem
10-05-2002, 08:55 PM
It's called dual boot. Or multiple boot even, as you can have as many operating systems on a computer as you want. When you power up the computer, a "boot manager" comes up and you get to choose which os to run. I can boot Win98 or Linux at the moment. When I'm in Windoze, I feel like I'm cheating. ;)

JC
10-05-2002, 09:03 PM
What Linux package do you have? I use Mandrake 7.0 myself.

John it is pretty cool and pretty easy. The Linux software sets it all up for you and is pretty dummy proof..It use to be harder but now it is as easy a popping in a CD and Linux does the rest...Windows takes awhile to set up but with Linux It finds your drivers no problem and formats /partitions etc..the whole boat in a matter of a minutes. After you use a OS like that you will see real quickly just how retarted and unessesarily complicated Windows truely is.
Try it out goto the store and buy a Linux package and throw it in your system..it will do the rest.

davem
10-05-2002, 09:32 PM
JC, I'm running RedHat 7.3. I used to use Mandrake, but I finally got management to switch our HPUX product to Linux, and RedHat got the nod there, so I'm using it at home too. 8.0 just came out, as soon as the servers cool down a little I'll be sucking down the new iso's. Gotta stay on the bleeding edge you know. Glad to hear you're back to Linux. :) It really is easier to install than Windows. Amazing.

Bud Cline
10-05-2002, 09:39 PM
What did he say?

davem
10-05-2002, 09:47 PM
Sorry Bud, let me run that through the degeekifier.

Linux good, Windows bad.

:)

Bud Cline
10-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Got it!!!

.....and makes me feel really good too.

Me and my Windows 98.

davem
10-05-2002, 10:05 PM
No, No, I hope you're just joking, because I was. :)
I love Linux, and like to raise awareness. That is part of the open source movement that linux is. Some people donate programming skills for free, others are users, testers, and advocates. That's me, an advocate. I think Windows is still has it's place. Not everyone can be/wants to be a computer whiz. It seems to me that everyone who wants to run a computer needs to know one though. Computers need TLC. Since most people have Windows, it is easier to find a Windows whiz to help when trouble happens. For the those who wish to seek it out, there is tons of Linux help on the internet.

I still dual boot, because there are a couple of programs I run that don't work in Linux. And my kids run Win98 because all the games they like are Windows games. So there. If you were just joking, I wore out my fingers for nothing. :D

drew
10-13-2002, 06:48 AM
I run a program called Ad-Subtract Pro. gets rid of those bothersome pop-up windows that come on automatically when you browse certain sites. There is a free version available, however doesn't have all the options as the Pro version. You can learn more about this program @ http://www.adsubtract.com

As for security on your puter, I run and recommend Zone Alarm Pro. You came find it @ http://www.zonelabs.com This is a great program that was originally written by a fella named Steve Gibson. He also has many interesting & useful programs available at his ste which you can find @ http://www.grc.com

R.C.
10-14-2002, 08:42 AM
With everyone running Linux, does anyone know how to remove a Linux partition from the hard drive? Fdisk recognizes it, but doesn't let me remove it. I was loaned a computer running Linux that I tried to reformat and install Windows(too much invested in software to drop it). I would like to set it up as a dual boot system (you guys are very convincing), but I want to wipe it clean and Fdisk won't let me.

davem
10-14-2002, 09:30 AM
I have never tried to remove a Linux partition with anything but linux. It doesn't surprise me that DOS fdisk is too dumb to do it. You could do it with "Tom's Root/Boot disk", which is a single floppy disk that boots to linux and has ton's of linux tools on it. Go to http://www.toms.net/rb/ and download an image to copy to a floppy disk. Then you can reboot into linux off the floppy and run linux fdisk. :)

flatfloor
11-18-2002, 06:22 PM
I just installed Ad-Subtract Pro on a 30 day trial $29.95 if I like it. Report will follow.

flatfloor
12-10-2002, 03:46 PM
I have been running Adsubtract since 11/18. It works! No pop ups, however I noticed that Norton is no longer able to update my virus protection. I get an error message that Norton can't establish an internet connection? I suspect Adsubtract is blocking it any experience with that?

Hobbit The Norton Security you mentioned, is that supposed to block ads?