Shower tiling Advice needed [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower tiling Advice needed

rambo
04-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Hello:

Tiling my 2nd shower ever and decided I want to utilize natural slate for the shower surround (I have installed a purchased shower pan already). I'm going to use a multicolor slate in 13 x 13 pieces.

Having laid slate before on floor applications, I'm going to seal the heck out of it before I start, and only go 3 courses high. I'd like some advice from those more in the know than me on:
- Grout line size? My thinking is thinner is better from a sealing standpoint, but....what would be best?
- sanded or unsanded grout? (rather use unsanded b/c of the ease of clean up with the cracks in slate)
- advice for maintenance
- any other things I should think of.

Thanks in advance and best regards!
-Rambo

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
04-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi Rambo, welcome!
The very first thing you need to look at is the slate. It is a porous material not normally recommended for wet areas. Now some slate is better than others, while some likes to literally disolve with moisture. Toss a slate tile in a bucket of water overnight, then scrub it....is the water relatively clean, or is the tile coming apart and turning the water muddy? :)

muskymike
04-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi Rambo, welcome! What Bubba said. If you decide to use the slate I would use an enhancer instead of a plain stone sealer. Put atleast 3 coats on. I would then do it once every 6 months to a year. Your grout lines will prolly be a 1/4" to 5/16".

rambo
04-11-2006, 08:23 PM
for the posts. I'm pretty sure this stuff is solid, but I'll do the soak deal. I've had this same slate outside on my porch for two years, and its holding up well.

Why such a wide grout line? I have the spacer for 3/16" or 1/8" like i did on the floor....

Thanks,

muskymike
04-11-2006, 08:39 PM
If the slate is very close in size then use a smaller grout line.