Kerdi drain question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi drain question

nochins
04-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi, my name is Norm, this is my first post, but a long time viewer
I am installing a corner shower with the kerdi shower 32 by 60 tray and kit with the membrane,foam curbs, drain. video, etc.
I have the kerdi shower ebook and tile your world book, which I have read twice.
I have the walls sheetrocked and the shower valve installed, ready for kerdi
membrane.

I am ready to install the shower tray and kerdi drain. I have a plywood subfloor. I have watched the installation video and see that he has put thinset down around the drain and then buttered the top of each semi-circle foam insert and then slid the foam under the drain. I am a little confused at this point. The foam insert is only 5/8 of a inch thick that rest on top of the plywood subfloor and the kerdi drain rest on the foam insert. It is stated in the book that a mud bed under the drain should be at least 1 1/4 inch above the subfloor.
My first question is, Is it correct to install the drain just as the video shows, foam insert on top of the plywood subfloor and the kerdi drain on top of the foam with thinset.
Second question, should I use three stacked 2 by 4's instead of the foam curbs if I plan to have a framed glass shower. I am assuming screws would hold into wood better versus the kerdi foam curb.
Third question, If I go with the 2 by 4 curb, according to tile book, sheetrock on the inside of the curb should be within one inch of the floor, does that mean I would screw in the both curbs of the corner shower first, then sheetrock the inside of the curb, then slide the tray into the curb? Would this be the correct method? Thanks for any tips, Norm

Sponsored Links

muskymike
04-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi Norm, welcome! If you are using the base, you don't need the 1 1/4" of mud under the drain, the base is enough. You shouldn't have to screw into the curb, silicone caulk will hold the track. No need for the 2x's if you have the foam curb.

nochins
04-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks Mike

A couple more question if I may, Jb uses versabond thinset. I will also. HD is closeby.

1. Is versabond used to set the kerdi tray, drain, and foam curbs onto the
plywood? Around the drain pad and kerdi drain , do I use dry mortar instead of versabond?
I am aware that versabond is used to set the kerdi membrane to the
drywall.

2. Is versabond thinset also used to set the tile onto the kerdi membrane?

rwcarpenter
04-12-2006, 09:19 AM
You can use versabond for all of it, though schluter is against this. You will definetly need versabond for the plywood to tray and plywood to curb connections as regular dry set will not bond to plywood.

Regular dry set mortor technically should be used to install the kerdi to the drywall, and the tile to the kerdi if you want to follow the what schluter recommends...however versabond will work there too.

nochins
04-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Cool, thanks Randy, wish me luck :yipee:

cx
04-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Welcome, Norm. You can go to the UserCP button above and pewt that first name in a signature line for us. :)

John Bridge is fully aware that there are other thinsets out there besides Versabond White, but onliest times he's ever used any for anything is when somebody sends him some for free. :D

If you can find the new Ditra Set mortar from Bostik in your area, that would be the mortar of choice for all Schluter products. If you purchased your Kerdi locally, that supplier will have access to the product.

Or just use Versabond. :rolleyes:

My opinion; worth price charged.