water stained granite tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : water stained granite tile

victord
04-08-2006, 07:44 PM
I recently remolded my bathroom. In the shower we used granite tiles called white beauty. We sealed the granite tiles with miracle 511 impregnator, given to me by the tile installer. I sealed the tile 2-3 coats.

Since then the bottom row of tile has darkened tremendously. The stained or darkened spot is gradually working its way up the tile.

My question is two fold. First is their a poultice to remove the stain/obsorbed water. The second questions is there a sealer for the job.

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
04-08-2006, 08:06 PM
My guess is that the shower pan was not built on a slope. Your top floor is probably sloped, but if the liner is flat on the floor, it will not completely drain, and will hold water like a basin. This moisture is now showing because it is wicking up through the thinset and backer board and wetting the tile from behind; no sealer will help. IF this is the cause, no way to fix it except tear out the pan and redo properly. What is under the walls? CBU, drywall, greenboard? Do you know where the liner is?

John Bridge
04-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Hi Vic, Welcome aboard. :)

I'm afraid Jim has a very good chance of being right. If the shower floor does not dry out after use, and the bottom row of tiles is embedded in the floor mortar, and if the stone is absorbant (as yours apparently is), you'll see what you are seeing.

Before we all panic, though, I would like you to repost this on the Cleaning and Restoration Forum. That's where our stone experts hang out, and some of them are shower experts, too. :)