Pavers in Kitchen [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pavers in Kitchen

sps155
03-20-2006, 10:21 PM
My wife and i thnking about putting pavers down for our kitchen floor. I know historically this has been an exterior flooring, but wanted to know if it could work inside. Does anyone thnk it may too tough on our feet and hard to stand and cook for long streches. Is there a different method of installation given that it is interior.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

eric

Sponsored Links

DonB
03-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Eric,

We use a lot of split brick here in the south. It makes a fine floor, not hard on the feet and doesn't show dirt. I installed it in a kitchen in one of our rentals in around 1993 and everyone who's lived there likes it a lot.

Don

sps155
03-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Thx so much don, Is split Brick the same as Pavers? (sorry - bit of a rookie here). Also is there different way of installing these then the traditional thinset and grout??

thx again

eric

JTG
03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Eric
Pavers install the same indoors as outdoors. They area great kitchen tile as the clay is the same color all the way through.
Grouting is where there can be a problem. Due to the gritty texture of the tile they will hold grout during clean up and it just takes longer. Don't grout large section at a time and clean up well as you go. I like to pre seal the tile prior to grouting.
Good luck
JTG

sps155
03-21-2006, 01:04 PM
thx so much jerry,

DonB
03-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Eric,

I think it would be similar. The split brick that used to be common, and what I used, is old Chicago street brick that's split into "tiles". That supply dried up so now they use newer bricks of some sort.

The old Chicago is pretty rugged stuff but makes a floor with a lot of character. It's been a while but if I remember correctly, I laid mine in a thick bed of mortar and did the setting and grouting all in one shot.

Don

sps155
03-21-2006, 02:21 PM
thx again don