Removing old tile?? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Removing old tile??

jeffiammarino
03-19-2006, 05:15 PM
I am having a very hard time removing old ceramic tile from a cement slab. Any tips on making it easier? Does old tile need to be removed before new tile is laid?

Sponsored Links

Madison Mike
03-19-2006, 05:28 PM
I've never been a fan of laying new tile over old tile. It is done sometimes, but not that often. Get your hands on a demo hammer, kind of like a small electric jackhammer. I have a Bosch and use a 1-1/2" chisel blade on it to chip up the tile and old mortar. I have seen ads for stripping machines in the trade mags though I don't have any experience with them. You can probably rent either tool at a decent rental yard. I'm sure some of the more experienced removal guys can give you more info.

Mike
Madison, WI

Davy
03-19-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm with Mad Mike, an electric chipping hammer normally will do the trick. I believe HD rents them. I also like tearing out the old stuff and starting fresh. :)

jolakri
03-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I just finished removing over 500 sf of tile over a concrete slab. I rented a hilti demo hammer from HD-I used the 1 1/2 inch chisel. If you have help in removing the tile once they are up you can get a lot done in one day. The machine worked great and a large % of tiles came up in full tiles-This tile was down for 18+ years and I was impressed with this tool. I am not in the tile business so I could not justify a purchase of such a tool-but that is why HD rents them. Take this route before considering tile over tile, but then again the pros may have other ideas. I have since put down a new tile floor and am pleased with the results.

Davy
03-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Did the thinset come up with the tiles? Sometimes the thinset stays down on the slab, this can be the tough part getting up. :nod: