happy days R ahead [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : happy days R ahead

drcrow2
03-10-2006, 08:26 AM
The Kerdi is ordered! The kerdi book is downloaded and printing! Started the tear out of the old shower yesterday! :yipee:

Now the fun stuff begins, This will be my second tiling job. The first was floors at our last house. Our current house (2 years old) now has a leaky shower, so it is coming out and a new one is going in. I will be looking to you guys for help and support! Thanks in advance for the great website! :clap2: I will post pics as I go!

Sponsored Links

mosquito
03-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Go get em, tiger!

drcrow2
03-11-2006, 01:20 PM
started the tear out on thursday night finished up this morning. :dance: No real problems, there was water under the liner so all of the bottom plates are wet! Will This be a problem? or can I just let them dry out over the next week or so?

muskymike
03-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi there, how bout putting a name in your sig, that way we know who we are typing at. If the plates are solid and not rotted you will be fine letting them dry out. Spray some bleach on them to kill any mold.

Scottish Tile and Stone
03-11-2006, 01:26 PM
You need a bigger hammer... :twitch:

drcrow2
03-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks Mike,

yes the plates are still solid. They just have moisture under them. Infact they seem to be drying quickly!

Man if I had a $1 for everytime someone said I needed a bigger hammer! I might have enough for the bigger hammer! :yeah:

John Bridge
03-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi David, :)

Looks like you've got it in hand. I sometimes add blocks between the studs just to improve nailing in areas where the plates have partially rotted. Also, your insulation may not dry out. Make sure it does or replace it. Insulation is fairly cheap stuff.

My helper lives out your way (Midway). :)

drcrow2
03-13-2006, 09:51 PM
finished the bench tonight. everything is drying out nicely! here are some pics for you. comments welcomed.

macbillybob
03-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Remove those tools before you enclose the bench.... :bonk:

drcrow2
03-17-2006, 03:39 PM
good day! the drywall is up I will tape and float tomorrow. Got the drain and 5" strips as well as corners yesterday from the fedex guy hope he brings the roll today! Wife and I are going tile shopping tonight.

BlueCanyon
03-17-2006, 05:05 PM
David,
I've only done one kerdi shower and I'm a TOTAL diyer. But just to double check .... you've got the kerdi drain in there, right?
Mary Ann

drcrow2
03-18-2006, 07:28 AM
yes I did get the drain. I have not messed with the drain yet. I'm not sure how I am going to get the old one off and the new one on?

AriCrow
03-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Hello all...

DH (David - drcrow2) and I found a travertine 1x1" mosiac today that we would like to use for the shower floor. However, all unmodified thinset that we found says something to the effect of... "not for use on natural stone". Remembering that this will be a Kerdi shower, is there a product out there that will work on travertine and be acceptable for Kerdi as well? :shrug: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laura :king:
(You need a queen icon, John!)

AriCrow
03-18-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=224819
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18724

DH and I are thinking that the Versabond will be the best for both the Kerdi and travertine applications - are we on the right track?

John Bridge
03-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Hi Laura,

Just keep using the king icon, and it will start looking more and more like a queen icon to you. Grows on ya, ya know? :D

I use Versa Bond. Schluter doesn't approve of it, because it's modified. I have used is successfully for about three years in Kerdi showers, though, and I still like it. Use the white.

Schluter has just recently teamed up with Bostick and come out with a white dry set mortar (Ditra Set) that is especially formulated for Schluter membranes. They sent me some to try, and it's great stuff. Problem is you won't be able to get it for a while. I'm just putting this here for folks who might come along down the road. Ditra Set is an excellent dry set mortar.

The shower looks great so far. Nice, neat workmanship (I guess that could also be workwomanship). ;)

Levi the Tile Guy
03-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Are you going to float the bottom of your niche to give it a minor slope? If you are I would take the rock off of it. and put a little felt and lathe in there then float.

Mike2
03-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Lots of different techniques Levi :).

Here's what I see: David's on a slab so no felt and lathe required. Burn in a thin loose layer of thin set mortar over the slab and start packing down the deck mud David. Be careful not to scrape wallboard paper too much and you'll be OK.

Get/rent one of these to dig that CI drain out. Start out punching 1/2" holes in the slab then hit it with a narrow chisel bit. Won't be too bad of a project. ;)

Levi the Tile Guy
03-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I wasn't talking about felt and lathe for the pan. Just for the niche. I always float the bottoms of my niches to five them a slight slope. Then Kerdi over them.

drcrow2
03-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Well the curb is in! I hope I did it right :shrug:

jdm
03-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Bostik makes Hydroment products, so DitraSet will be available at Hydroment dealers, too.

drcrow2
03-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Finished the mud bed tonight... :yipee: Going to Kerdi this weekend!

drcrow2
03-25-2006, 05:35 PM
well the kerdi is up and the wife finished buying the floor tile. :clap1: Today was a long day, I now know why u guys charge what you do!!!!!!:tup2: I will be finishing up tomorrow still need to put some banding around the floor and finish the curb. but for today it is beer thirty and I feel like this :crazy:

AriCrow
03-26-2006, 09:47 AM
DH finished Kerdi last night (see above pics), HOWEVER... there are some air bubbles under the Kerdi on the outside the corners. Do we need to cut these and apply Kerdi band to patch? Will leaving the air bubbles cause probs in tiling? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just a side note: Every time I post a question, I usually end up finding the answer right away on the board just after I've posted! I hope that will work again this time, but will appreciate any answers given here!!! :blah:

John Bridge
03-26-2006, 10:05 AM
David,

Why are you trying to pass off that Bud Lite as real beer? You live in Texas, man. Get a Texas style beer -- something made in Mexico, maybe. :D

Kerdi looks good, Laura. It's hard not to get a little separation on the brick curb, for one thing. It's hard to explain, and I can't really tell from here, but if it's only a little bit right at the turn, and the bulk of the materials is well bonded along the flat areas, You're okay. It it's going to cause the tiles to be loose, it needs to be fixed. Using Kerdi-band will work.

I can't see any corner pieces on the bench where it goes from vertical to horizontal. How did you do those turns?

AriCrow
03-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Haven't really finished the Kerdi yet - hope that's not a problem. DH was so mentally tired last night that he had to stop! Plan on going back with corners on the bench and floor, and also Kerdi band around the floor seam and on the curb. DH also mentioned something about finishing around the drain?!?

What's an appropriate time to wait with Versabond before we begin tiling?

John Bridge
03-26-2006, 11:19 AM
You can tile immediately. The drawback is that if you have to remove something, the suction pulls the Kerdi loose. Versa Bond sets in about 8 hours and dries completely overnight. :)

elCid72
03-26-2006, 02:46 PM
John what's the reason for using the white dry set mortar, as opposed to regular thinset?

macbillybob
03-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Reward yourself with a real beer. It is amazing how long it takes to do a few pieces of tile when you reward yourself after each tile.....

drcrow2
04-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Just an update been working abit. This is taking long than I thought, more work than I thought. But I'm gettin there.