an unexpected problem with bath remodelling - help needed, pichers are included [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : an unexpected problem with bath remodelling - help needed, pichers are included

tunafish
03-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I was going to tile this area next weekend and found this problem. see pichers. I first hoped that this was done by splashes from the bath, but today it rained and here we have a nice puddle.
What are my options in fixing this problem. how to locate the leak? it seems like it is very isolated to this area. Is this a bad window install? Do I need to replace a window or I can seal it? the house is 2003 with cemented board siding on that wall.
I'm in state of shock and would be so thankful to you guys for advices.

PS and it seemed like a nice day, since I got my granite vanity tonight.

Sponsored Links

tunafish
03-09-2006, 07:28 PM
the pictures

Scottish Tile and Stone
03-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Andy, can you get to the outside of the window, and check for cracked caulking?

tunafish
03-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Scott, I will tomorrow - the rain will stop and there will be daylight. do I need to remove the casing to do this????
Here is another close-up. the window can not be open type. And there are some screws that hold the molding type metal profile in the frame. I noticed some water right in the very angle of the window - see picher and I'm thinking maybe the water just comes thru the tiny hole in this angle. it doesn't seem there is any silicone or such around this area.

John Bridge
03-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Could be a leak. Could be condensation. Could be caused by inadequate flashing job over exterior sheathing when house was built. Could be a caulking problem. Could be . . . . :)

Tool Guy - Kg
03-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Andy,
You need to check the perimeter of the window from the outside like Scott said. The important waterproofing on a window needs to form a seal on the outside of the house. Check the entire perimeter of the window from the outside. Even up on top of the window unit. :)

EEEO
03-09-2006, 08:05 PM
In newer homes, my experience has been that more often than not, an issue like that is a missing flashing detail on the exterior or improper installation of the window and/or flashing detail. As John said though, it could be a condensation issue, which you probably would have noticed though.

Rob, P.E.
03-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Those windows look familiar to me. Take a shot of the window with the blind and bottom sash open slightly. They look like full PVC construction and may or may not have self-flashing feature through a nailing strip. In any event, the problem with such windows is that PVC can crack, and often does with typical reasons being that the rough opening is too tight and doesn't leave sufficient thermal expansion area; the window was "gently abused" during installation causing a stress crack; the corner wasn't fused properly during manufacture; or, ice build-up caused a fracture. I can tell you how to repair the cracks if they're found...

cx
03-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Sounds like he's talking about a fixed-glass unit, Rob. And I can't tell if it's vinyl or not. Give us more hints, Andy. :)

Most common cause of window leaks is poor installation, as has been suggested. Second is defective windows, in my experience. Lotsa times the glass just isn't properly sealed to the frame. Other times there is a leak in the frame construction.

But I've seen a roof leak do that, too.

Only thing I would venture to say for sure is that water from the outside done leaked into the inside. Was that helpful? :D

My opinion; worth price charged.

Rob, P.E.
03-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Kelly,

Maybe I need thicker glasses :lol1: but there looks like there is something that moves on that assembly. His second photo shows an intermediate member through the blind slats. Could be a tilter?

cx
03-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Hell, I dunno, Rob. I'm just going by this statement:Here is another close-up. the window can not be open type.

I certainly can't do any testifying from lookin' at the pichers, even with my glasses on. :)

Rob, P.E.
03-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Well darn I missed his somewhat cryptic statement... :bonk:

If that's the case, he'll need to pull the holds out, remove the panel, clean the edges, apply sealant, reseat the panel, and reinstall the holds.

tunafish
03-09-2006, 10:09 PM
you guys are correct - the window can't open. I think they are not PVC since the framing made of metal, rather soft one. One a picture you can see a screw that attach metal casing that holds the glass assambly in place. Ice is out of question - I live in AL. I also do not see any cracks anywhere in the frame. Now I noticed I have the same problem in the opposite corner, however in a much less proportion. I do not know if it helps but this window has no bug screen attached.
Quote:
If that's the case, he'll need to pull the holds out, remove the panel, clean the edges, apply sealant, reseat the panel, and reinstall the holds.
Lemme get it right:
holds - metal parts that screwed to the frame from the inside? right?
panel - glass part, right?
sealant?- what should I use? silicone? window caulk?

Thanks a lot, guys! You make me feel I can do it...

tunafish
03-09-2006, 10:20 PM
ahh, what the heck, here is one more

cx
03-09-2006, 11:04 PM
OK, in that photo it clearly looks like a standard ol' aluminum framed window. I'll assume the frame is not thermally broken, so a good bit of condensation is to be expected. Enough to produce that much water? Unlikely, but not impossible.

But you did say it happened when it rained, eh? When it stops, go outside and have a good look at the glass/frame joint. Should see silicone consistantly filling any gap between the two. Shouldn't see any voids at all. Very common to have such voids, though. And such leaks.

If that's the case, there is a pookey that can seal the window after the fact. Call your local glass company and axe them do they know what I'm talking about. It's a sealer that they apply from a little presurized can thingee that's real thin and can seep into the very small joint and dries fairly quickly. And it's pretty permenant. Easier than removing the glass and taking a chance on breaking the seal between the panes and causing still another problem.

Or you could just try some silicone sealant if you see a big ol' gap there.

Or maybe it's something else entirely.

Any chance there is a warranty on the window? Five years is not uncommon.

Them "holds" we generally refer to as stops, hereabouts.

My opinion; worth price charged.

ArtKilinski
03-15-2006, 05:47 PM
I know all about leaking windows.

It's possible that your windows (like mine) weren't installed properly when the house was built. This could mean: improper or no flashing, incorrect caulking, and a host of other things. If this is the case, you will always have leaks. I had to get a ton of windows ripped out (12) and replaced. If your house is stucco, they rip out the stucco around the windows, rip out the window, repair interior sheetrock, framing, etc, put a NEW window in correctly, re-stucco and do interior finish work. It's not cheap and easy but if not done right, you will never be rid of this problem.