Photos of/Advice about a Tile Tub Apron for an Alcove installation [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Photos of/Advice about a Tile Tub Apron for an Alcove installation

valleykat
03-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks, and have searched without a lot of success for pictures of tubs installed with a tile apron. I am redoing two bathrooms in my house. They both have a tub/shower combo. I would like to have a tile apron on each because I think it will give them more of a custom look.

I will not be doing the work myself, but I would like to know the best way to go about it because it will influence my tub choices, and that's the stage I'm at now. I assume that I should look for tubs that ideally have an integrated tile flange, or at least an optional kit, and no integral apron.

I am thinking of a shallow wall or deck in the front that the tub sits on top of. I am thinking that the shower door would sit on the top of the edge of the tub, just as it would if it had an integral apron, so all of the tile would be outside of the door. I can visualize this in my mind, but have not found any pictures. Am I thinking correctly or am I off somewhere?

Thanks for any advice you can offer and photos would be great. I'm a visual person.

Sponsored Links

kevjob
03-09-2006, 11:42 AM
i have done this exact process 5 times before and the thing to keep in mind is you want tile on face to come out flush with tub face. so framing and cbu needs to be back from tub face abut 1/2" to 5/8" depending on thickness of tile and size which will set how big of notch trowel being used. it can be done and looks great if done properly.

valleykat
03-09-2006, 12:30 PM
That sounds different than what I'm describing, which is fine. That's what I want to know: the different ways in which I could go about this. Do you have any photos of those installations? Like I said, I'm a visual person, and I'm not sure I can picture this. It sounds like your installations are flush with the downward edge of the tub after the tile is laid, correct?

The only one I could find that is similar to what I have in mind is in a thread titled "Tile at Tub Apron," from two years ago. John Bridges posted a picture. I would post it, but I haven't figured out how yet. It is an alcove tub, but not a shower.

valleykat
03-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Any pictures out there? I know this is done (I thought it was done frequently), but I'm not finding any examples out there; not just here, but anywhere. I would like to have a picture so that I can show it to my GC and have more confidence that he and I are on the same page about what I want done and also whether it will work for my situation.

John, could you see if you could find that picture I was referring to and tell me if that would work in a tub/shower situation as I described above? If you search "tile at tub apron" the thread is halfway down on page two. I could see if my DH can help me get it posted. I've saved it to my pictures, so I should be able to, but I couldn't figure it out myself. Thanks.

kevjob
03-13-2006, 06:34 PM
the way your describing this that would not make a great connection for the top of the wall to tub. there would be a seam where the tile stops and tub starts. the way i described it the door sits on the tub itself thus no seam to leak.

valleykat
03-13-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm probably just not explaining myself very clearly. I am planning on the door sitting on top of the tub. I am thinking of buying a drop-in tub with integral flange. The three sides in the alcove would rest on ledger boards, and the front would rest on a little wall that is tiled. If I could post the picture John posted, maybe what I'm saying would make more sense. I'll try to read up on that, so I can do it.

John Bridge
03-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi Kat, Welcome aboard. :)

We won't have a lot of pictures with shower doors on them because what you're describing isn't done much. I do have pictures of whirlpool tubs under which we've build tiled walls. I think maybe that's what you're referring to. There would be no reason why you couldn't install a shower door on the tub. :)

valleykat
03-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, that one is close. This one is closer to what I have in mind. It is the one I had been referring to from the "tile at tub apron" thread.

I was having a problem because I was trying to add the picture using the "add image" button above the text box. I figured out that I could go down below to where it said "manage attachments" to insert a picture.

Thanks to both of you. I was hoping it would work. I'm surprised it's so unusual though. I think it gives it a much more custom look for not a whole lot more than you might pay for the optional apron kit. I know my brother-in-law spent over $200 on his optional apron.

kevjob
03-13-2006, 09:35 PM
sorry i mis undertsood you.

valleykat
03-16-2006, 11:24 AM
I came across this in a thread on another forum totally unrelated to tile aprons. Is this what you are describing Kevin?

I'll have to figure out how to resize the picture. It didn't load. Will post later.

kevjob
03-16-2006, 02:59 PM
look in liberry i think theres a thread on how to resize pics

valleykat
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Let's try again. I think I've got it this time.

kevjob
03-18-2006, 01:14 PM
thats what i mean! i do these all the time when clients buy the tub with no skirt see how the tile is flush with the tub?

Jeff22
04-21-2010, 07:20 AM
that last post by Valleykat is something I'm trying to do in my bathroom right now, tile up to and flush with the seam/lip on a drop in tub. Any more pictures of tub skirts done this way? I know it's an old thread but looking for similar pictures, thanks