Discolored grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Discolored grout

Adam M
03-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Just finished a kerdi shower. Turned out great due to this forum. Thank you all!. The walls are porcelian with travernine accents. Floor is travertine 2x2. Grout is Polyblend non sanded bone in color. Removed grout haze with 50/50 water and viniger. Many days later sealed the grout and travertine with Tile Lab Surfacegard Penetrating Sealer. Follows instuctions carefully. Heres the problems and questions.

Some of the gout lines have turned dark as if wet but it is not. I could remove these areas and re grout but is this the solution?

When a shower is taken the grout lines darken with water and the floor does also with the water. Grout and travertine return to normal color after drying but for the few problem grout lines. Is this expected with this sealer. I thought the grout would not absorb the water after sealing. Is this the wrong sealant?

Should I try a different sealer and will I be able to use a new product over the Tile Lab sealer.

Recomendations for a sealer would be helpful.

Sponsored Links

muskymike
03-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi Adam welcome! What are the size of the grout lines? I usually never use unsanded grout unless the grout line is a 1/16". I never used the tile lab stuff. I could be the grout.

kevjob
03-06-2006, 10:30 PM
i like bulletproof from stonetech

DonB
03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm very happy with Aqua Mix UltraSeal. It holds water in a bead until it evaporates. It also holds soy sauce in a bead but I haven't had the stones to leave it lay for more than an hour. Either way, neither darkens the grout and you can seal your new grout when it's two hours old with this stuff.

Don