Slate or Ceramic in rebuilt shower? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Slate or Ceramic in rebuilt shower?

jrmorrill
03-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Calling all experienced tile guys!!

I've reached the point in my shower that I have to make a decision on the tile. Initially we planned on using Indian Peacock Slate. After reading posts here I tested the tile for the shower walls and ceiling and guess what! It's closer to shale than slate. I'm shying away from using this particular tile in the shower.

SO now I have to come up with an alternative to the peacock slate from Lowes.

Vermont slate is appealing but may not have the color variations that we're looking for. But the price is right and it's well suited for a wet area. I understand it will be a challenge to clean. How does Scrubbing Bubbles affect slate?

Our other choice is to locate a ceramic/porceline tile that mimics slate. But where do I find such a tile? I'm having trouble locating pictures and sources on the Internet. Also, when ordering this sort of tile are they all the same or can they be ordered with the variations that you'll find in REAL slate?

Thanks in advance for your tips!
Jason
(slaving away near New Haven, CT)

Sponsored Links

Danny Ferguson
03-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Hey Jason,

A.O. and Marazi have some good looking slate look-a-likes.

Danny

Levi the Tile Guy
03-06-2006, 08:55 PM
As far as ceramic matching slate tile, I have never seen it. People tell me I am installing it for them, but I don't think it truly mimics slate. They have some of the colors, but aren't as defined, and no they don't have the variations.
I personally love slate though, especially with a stone enhancer on it.
Although a lot of people don't recomend it if you go with it use a good quality impregnating sealer 3-4 times before you use it, and then seal it again every 6 months, or less if you need it.
I have done a number of slate showers, and they are beautiful if you takecare of them and maintain them.

Davy
03-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi Jason, welcome. :wave:

I would look for a porcelain that mimics slate. Check the big tile shops like Dal tile. Where are you located?

Like Levi, I have installed many slate showers. I don't have to keep them clean though.

Davy
03-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Here's one. The colors do look nice. :)

jrmorrill
03-06-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm located in south-central Connecticut. So a drive to Vermont is not out of the question for me.

Back to the India Peacock Slate though. I soaked it overnight and it wasn't falling apart. I tried three different feeling and sounding tiles. One appears harder than the other two. Since the slate is not going on the floor, just the walls and ceiling, could I put the harder tiles at the bottom and just go with three coats of sealant?? Aquamix is the recommended brand?

We **REALLY** like the look of the peacock slate over anything else. And we looked for several months too! Oh the decisions! (fretting fretting fretting)

Jason M