Removing glued tile and plywood substrate [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Removing glued tile and plywood substrate

Drifter
03-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

I've dipped into your knowledge resevoir in the past when dealing with some of the...errr... idiosyncracies of some of the projects done by the previous owner of my house.

Last time involved re-doign the bath surround, which ended up including re-framing the window and a number of other unexpected challenges.

This time, I'm re-tiling the bathroom floor in order to replace the lovely brown mosaic tile that is there now. Last night I decided to start a little destruction on the tile and discovered that not only did he glue (yes, glue) the tile down, but it is glued to a piece of 1/16" plywood which is turn glued to the subfloor. Oh joy.

What I am asking you is: Is there an easier way to get this crap up and also, I don't think I can get the plywood off the subfloor without it splintering so am I best off just chipping the tile off the plywood and then putting my underlayment over the glued plywood?

Am I going to have to remove the whole subfloor? How should I go about that with all this glued c!@p on top of it.

Sponsored Links

geddy2112
03-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Your best bet is probably to remove it all. that 1/16" isn't gonna cut it and you will have a bear of a time getting the glue off. I'd take it down to the joists and start fresh, especially if you're not sure what you have for a subfloor to begin with.

tileguytodd
03-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Cant argue with that advice..................its always something isnt it!!! :crap: