Request for some advice [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Request for some advice

duane_enger
03-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Hello all,

I am a new home owner of a house built in the 1950s. I purchased this home several months ago and am doing a major remodel. I have had great success so far until I ran into a little problem today....thus prompting me to seek some opinions. Here is the situation:

Kitchen cabinets are installed and sitting directly on a 1/2 in subfloor ((-I know this was a mistake, but what's done is done))(12 in joyces 16 inches on center). The rest of the house is covered in 5/8 inch hardwood which I am going to restore/ carpet over. I intend to lay 5/8 inch construction grade plywood in the kitchen and then tile directly to the future 1 1/8 inch subfloor. I am concerned about adding 'height' to the floor so here is the question:

Do I need to use cement backerboard under the tile or can I glue directly to the plywood?

Thanks for the advise

Duane
Hutchinson, Kansas

Sponsored Links

davem
03-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Duane, welcome to the forum. Hang tight, you'll get answers. :)

Mike2
03-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Welcome onboard Duane: :)

We recommend not setting tile directly onto plywood. 1/4" backerboard over ply is fine or use a membrane like Ditra instead, coming in at 1/8" thick. Can read more about Ditra by following the Schluter Systems link over on the right hand side of this screen. And you can find Schluter product pricing in our Online Store.

After you research some of that, please come back with any other questions you may have.

Good luck.