Sealing slate in a shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sealing slate in a shower

ronnald
03-05-2006, 03:50 PM
I used slate as my accent in my tile shower enclosure (2"x2"). It's a just a single row about mid height around the shower enclosure, and also used it as the backing of my niche. I haven't grouted anything yet. What should I use to seal the slate? Should I grout than seal it? I was thinking of using something with a gloss, as it has a dull finish. Any help is appreciated.

(By the way, I did notice when cutting some of the slate, some pieces broke off rather easy. Not sure what this means.)

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
03-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi Ronnald,
If you are looking to enhance the color, you can use StoneTech's Enhancer Pro (http://www.tileyourworld.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=51). However, it doesn't impart a gloss.

Can I ask what kind of slate you have?

Slate is a natural material and was created in layers. That's why it sometimes falls apart when you cut it into smaller pieces. Slate isn't normally recommended for a wet shower, but people love the stuff. I'd seal your little accent band with the above sealer before grouting (to help clean grout off the face of the tiles during the process) and at least a couple of times after. Just be carefull to avoid dripping the sealer onto the sides of the tiles before grouting or the grout won't stick so good. :)

ronnald
03-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks ToolGuy!!

(I figured since it was just a single band of slate, I should be okay....)