Schluter customer support rocks! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Schluter customer support rocks!

prescottrecorder
03-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I talked my tile contractor into using Kerdi in the shower and he just wasn't quite getting the installation procedure right. It didn't help that he wouldn't read the instructions or watch the video and told me every 15 minutes that it was a waste of time. Anyway, with telephone help from my Schluter field rep, Larry Horton, we were making slow, messy progress (lots of patches after cutting out bubbles). The final piece was the floor and it was a mess. After one more time talking through what might be wrong with Larry, he offered to send a Schluter rep to my house to walk us through it. Dale Kreider drove in from the next State over and not only put down the floor for us, but gave a little class to the tile guy. Our problem, by the way, was mainly too stiff a mix and the wrong trowel. The tile contractor had 30 years experience telling him that it shouldn't be that loose and refused to go there until Dale showed up and convinced him.
Anyway, thanks Larry and Dale :tup1: I don't think I would have trusted the shower not to leak without your intervention.

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
03-04-2006, 09:26 PM
That's excellent! :tup1: A few years ago, I had a "Quickdrive" rep offer to come from Illinois to correct a problem with a new gun I just purchased. Showed up on the jobsite with a new part, installed it, and saw that I was taken care of. Glad to hear about the service. :)

feeln17
03-05-2006, 07:43 AM
II'm getting ready to do the kerdi also. I have gone over the installation stuff but can't find where it says how thick the thinset should be. Can anyone lead me in the right direction here? Thanks Don

cx
03-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for passing that along, Paul. :)

Don:

If you haven already spent ten bucks for John Bridge's Kerdi e-book, I very strongly recommend you do that before you get started. Wealth of little tips in there that will make your life easier. There's a "sticky" thread near the top of the Advice forum main page. You can have it in hand this morning. :)

Mix the thinset a bit "looser," or wetter than you normally would for setting tiles. You want to be able to comb ridges in it with a notched trowel and have them stay there, but just barely. If the edges of the ridges don't quite stay sharp, but the ridges still stand up, I say that's pretty close.

Nothing quite like sacrificing a piece of Kerdi and few feet of sheetrock to practice a little before you start with the real thing. You need to be able to moosh nearly all the thinset out from behind Kerdi without breaking a sweat.

My opinion; worth price charged.

John Bridge
03-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Hi Paul, Thanks for relating that. I'll make sure the big guys at Schluter get a peek at it. I know Larry (the mountain) Horton. Maybe I'll get to meet Dale one of these days. :)