Tub Surround [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tub Surround

joe14580
03-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey guys.

You helped me greatly in how-to install a tile floor in my bathroom. For the tub surround I'm installing Corian/Swanstone tub-surround 3-piece system and I have a simple question: should the width of the tubsurround piece that goes on the "sidewalls" (as measured from the back wall to the front of the tub) be as wide as the tub ? Should it be more ? Should it be less ? What's the convention used ?

The tub in question is a 5' wide x 17" high x by 32 inch deep and sits in a 5' wide drywalled alcove. The dimension I'm questioning is the 32" from the front of the tub to the rear wall. Should the tubsurround be cut 32 inches wide so that it's the same "width" of the tub ? What looks best ?

I'm asking this question here as I don't know where else to go. Corian/Dupont gives no recommendation and I figure you guys have the same decision to make as regard to how far out from the back wall do you bring the tile.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

jdm
03-03-2006, 05:27 PM
When tiling a tub one normally brings the tile about 3" past the front edge of the tub and extends the tiled area down to the floor. The tile that goes down to the floor is called the tub legs. This provides for a little more protection from splashed water, especially if a curtain is used.

I don't know if you can do this with a corian surround.

joe14580
03-03-2006, 08:47 PM
JDM,

No, this could not be done easily as it would require cutting the Corian to fit tight around and down the side of the tub.

Thanks.

Danny Ferguson
03-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Hey Joe,

It's not as hard as you think. We do tub surrounds in Corian and cultured marble all the time. The easiest way to do it, is to buy 3 sheets of 1/8" or 1/4" luan and make a template first. Once you have your templates made, secure them to the Corian with some clamps. If you have a router and a pattern bit use it to cut the Corian, and follow the luan template with the pattern bit. If you don't have a router, mark the corian with a pencil and use a jig saw.

Danny

joe14580
03-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Dan,

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks.