ceramic tile on plywwood [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : ceramic tile on plywwood

Joediamond
03-02-2006, 07:21 AM
I am tiling two bathroom floors in Habitat houses this Sat. We had a professional tiler lined up but he got too busy and can't do it. Using 6x6 ceramic on 1/2 inch plywood, not the best grade but we filled knot holes with wood filler. That's on top of 3/4 t&g OSB. Both layers glued and screwed to the joists. This is what the pro told us to do. I know it is not what this forum would recommend but this is the condition we have now and the plumber is coming next week to set the toilets so we have to be ready. Deflecto-wise, it's OK and I gave it my personal 230 lb jump test, and the floor is solid.

Question? To stick the tiles, what do I use? Thinset-what kind? How wet, etc. What special techniques do we use on plywood? No water in the house yet so someone suggested the premix, but I am sure that wont fly with this forum so we will have to haul in water in containers to mix up powder.

Joe

Sponsored Links

Dave Taylor
03-02-2006, 07:38 AM
I am tiling two bathroom floors in Habitat houses this Sat.

Here is an optiion for you....

Use white 317 Laticrete (un-modified) under 1/4" Hardi held down by backer-on square drive screws and taped with USG alkali resistant tape. Then modify the 317 with 333 ad-mix (no water carrying for mixing thinset anyway) to set your tiles.

What I'm trying to do, Joe, is get you to reconsider setting tiles directly on whatever ply sub-floor you have in them habitats.

Good luck :---)

bbcamp
03-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Joe, get some 1/4" backerboard, any brand, and install it per the manufacturer's instuctions. Do not use premixed thinset.

Watch for a PM. Reply before posting.