Newbie Granite tile counter q's (sorry) [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Granite tile counter q's (sorry)

thebrad
03-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Hello all,

I'm new here and about to take on my first big tile project, tiling my kitchen with granite tiles. I'vw looked through as many posts about granite tile as I could find with the search, but I still have a few questions.

Is there a step by step DIY that I can't find?

My first question is, we're looking at the 12" squares, and I'm having trouble deciding or finding a good edge system. I'vw seen the schluter system stuff, is it good quality? Our local Lowes has a seperate piece avail as a add on edge, which brings me to my second question.

My cabinets are 24" deep, and 2 x 12" tiles kame 24", the depth of the cabinets. I would like some overhang, but really just want some input or other thoughts on how to finish the edge. A local flooring store can bullnose some tiles, but with their prices, I can almost go slab, and have it installed.

I checket out the bessimo (sp) tile, and they are nice, but have limited color choices. (actually not bad, but I REALLY want blue pearl)

I saw a write up in readers digest that spaced the back of the countertop out from the wall, and built up a 1.5" thick backsplash that looked poor, and I really want to do a contrasting backsplash with ceramic tile.

Sorry for the legenth of my first post, but taking on this big of a project, has me kneeding some info.

TIA

Brad

Sponsored Links

JTG
03-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Welcome Brad
A good way to start is to get John's book from the TYW link above and sit down with a cold beer and read up on doing counter work. Everything you need is right there in the book and folks here are available for other questions.
The Schluter products are the best and they have recently put out a flyer with nothing but countertop products. Click on the link here on the right.
If you have an angle grinder you can get some pads and put a shine on the edge of the tile if you want that look for the exposed edges. Putting the bullnose edge on gets harder.
Almost every counter top I have done with 12x12 tile there has been a small piece of tile on the back. They don't show up that much.
You now can also get granite counter top tile blanks that are 26 1/2" by 16" and are bull nosed on each end. That way you have the front bull nose and the piece you cut off for length can go under the overhang in the front.
Good luck
JTG

thebrad
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
I think I'll check out the book.

Where are you seeing those big tiles? Do you know a vendor or...?

JTG
03-01-2006, 06:43 PM
In the Northwest you can get them at Tile for Less. They get them from China and I have to think they are available in other parts of the country.
JTG

Surfer Dude
03-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Brad,

You found a good source with the Readers Digest article. At least you can see the different edging opportunities. I was going to use granite tiles for my counters, and I was going to use a pre-fab edge, but in the end, for a little extra dough, I jumped up to the solid counters instead.

You can try a company called "Bedrock Creations" on the web. They have bullnose edging to match their granite tiles. It looks much better than the edging idea's on Readers Digest, but the 12" bullnose are approx $25 each. Same cost for a bullnose edge on solid granite counters.

I'm a newbie, but I was headed in the same direction you were until I shifted gears to go solid.

John

John Bridge
03-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi Brad, :)

Have you used our search? Use the advanced search feature and type in something like granite counters. I think you'll find a bunch of information. :)

Hi John,

Solid granite counters are not usually considered a DIY project. Did you use the 8 foot long panels?

thebrad
03-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have spent 3-4 days unsing the search, and was really looking for a one stop shop to find all of the info.

The new ideas, [small slabs] are great ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Brad

Surfer Dude
03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
John/Brad,

Sorry....I was going the DIY route with the Granite Tiles, then after much research and the fact the wife didn't like the finished edging we considered creating or the pre-fab bullnose, in the end, we just bit the bullet and went solid "professionally installed" on all the counter surfaces (75 sq ft)

But, I am doing the backsplash tile myself, so at least you pro's aren't getting all the fun.