Steam shower walls and floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Steam shower walls and floor

Christine
02-07-2006, 08:19 AM
We are remodeling and are having a steam shower installed. The flooring person is planning on mudding the entire shower. He says it is the best way; he only installs stone/tile in mud and believes it is superior to cement board. I have no quibble with that but am wondering about wall surfaces. We had other contractors look at the job and both of them said they would use other methods. Our man has done beautiful work in the past, but I am worried. Also, is using marble for all surfaces a problem because of porosity.
Thanks, Christine

Sponsored Links

Mike2
02-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Good morning Christine, welcome.

Let me put your mind at ease by saying that a floated mud floor or wall properly done is the absolute best, the very best. :nod:

I'm wondering though, where is your concern coming from? Could it be that other contractors are recommending a different approach? If so this would not be unusual because in many areas of the country real mud work is a dying art form.

Interior Finishes
02-07-2006, 04:15 PM
FWIW, We tile a LOT of steam showers, hands down the best product I have ever come across is a product called Wedi (http://www.wedi.de/english/) Board.. It is a closed cell foam skinned with cement, it only weighs 8#'s a sheet & cuts with a utility knife.. The best part about it is it's TOTALLY waterproof, watter will not pass through it PERIOD.. They also make pre sloped shower pans as well..

When doing steam showers you have to use their waterproof tape on all seams & glue the panels together with a product called chem-caulk..

I would strongly suggest at least looking into it, we have not had a leaky shower complaint since moving to this product about two years ago..

The other bit of advise I can offer about steam showers is to make sure that the contractor slopes the ceiling or you will get rained on when using it.. Also make sure that there is no header at the ceiling over the shower door so the steam can escape..

Hope this info is helpful,
Scott