Shower and base board corners [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower and base board corners

Joe Klein
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
I've read where 2 different plains meet I should use a silicon caulking. I'm nearing that point in my shower project. So this should be done in all corners of the shower? Should I use pure silicon or a silicon latex mix? Finally what about outside the shower on the bathroom floor for the tile baseboard and tile backsplash at the vanity top (tile) should those also be caulked or is grouting ok?
Thanks,
Joe

Sponsored Links

muskymike
01-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Joe, you can use silicone or caulk made by the same grout company that will match the grout. Caulk all plane changes.

Danny Ferguson
01-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey Joe,

Caulk everywhere two plains hit. I like to use a sanded or unsanded grout caulk, to match the color of my actual grout color.

Shaughnn
01-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Joe,
What's the grout color and type? What's the tile and the spacing? If you've got tight white corners, then pure silicone is best but it doesn't come in all the fancy colors that the acrylic caulks do. I'd use a paintable caulk at the baseboards, like "Alex-plus", on the tops and the bottoms. Color matching at the backsplash is more important than the seal.
Shaughnn

Joe Klein
01-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks Shaughnn and guys,
The grout color is "Camel" made by Custom Building Products and they do not make a grout in that color, I've check some others and have not found any too close. The Shower tile is an off white tile and I'll probably be using 1/8" joints. The floor and vanity top are darker redish color with 3/8" joints. ( we have red dirt here and thats why we chose the color camel)

Theoderik
01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
check with a local tile shop. They should stock a caulk in that color.

Shaughnn
01-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi again Joe,
I think that "Color Caulk" brand comes in "Camel - Sanded". If your supplier can't find you a match, call Custom's customer line and ask them what brand they recommend.
Shaughnn

Joe Klein
02-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Ok Guys, Thanks, I've got it straight now with the caulking part. Now on to the next step. I will be doing the shower first. I've cut down some 18X18 tile which will be used on the walls to 4X4 which I will use for the floor. (procelean tile) I will be using 1/8" grout joints in the shower. Is it ok for me to use a 1/4" X 1/4" trowel if I fill the back of the tiles(which aren't flat) with thinset then set the tiles down onto the floor which has been troweled?
Thanks,
Joe