Goldfish [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish

Cami A
08-06-2002, 09:02 PM
Is anyone else getting the "Goldfish" virus? I've gotten three emails containing it in just the last hour. Two say
"Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender -goldfish" and one says "Fw: goldfish". The undelivered mail isn't- that's not how mine appears when I do get something returned.

Delete, delete, delete...

Sponsored Links

cx
08-07-2002, 07:24 PM
Must be you is the onliest one, Cami. You special! :cool:

I mighta missed one or more, though, since I've taken to previewing my email on the web afore I download it like y'all done 'splained me. I see strange lookin' stuff, I commence with the delete button too. Good feature. ;)

Cami A
08-07-2002, 07:32 PM
I don't download anything I don't recognize, either- goldfish was in the subject line. These are showing up on my hotmail addy, so I don't worry as much as if it was Outlook(which is also set on "preview" mode). I just ran a search on the subject text + the word virus. Lots of variations on that particular virus- I just happened to get a bunch of the ones labeled "goldfish".

I don't open attachments or forwards unless there's some sort of explanatory message, anyhow. Life's too short to read chain letters...

Cami A
08-17-2002, 12:42 PM
Yikes- my mailbox was full of this today (22 emails so far)- I did a little more research, and it's the Yaha Virus (http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99528)- the same one that shut down the Pakistan Government site.

I have a suspicion that the chamber of commerce or the visitor's bureau site is infected- many of the emails I'm getting appear to be from area businesses, but with one of the message variants from the article linked above. Grrr....

flatfloor
08-17-2002, 04:14 PM
I received 2 of them the other day. Like you neither Kathleen nor I recognized it so we just deleted it. Norton did not catch them.

Jess
09-29-2002, 06:30 PM
um...did the other people who get this virus receive it under their own address?? mine showed up like I sent it to myself..and also came up as an undelivered mail saying I tried to send it to ARose111682@aol.com whoever that is! Anyone else get that?

Cami A
09-29-2002, 06:36 PM
Hi, Jess- yes, I received e-mails that looked as if I had sent it out, and it was returned by the system. Don't open your "undeliverable mail", no matter how convincing it seems.

bustyx2@YAHOO.COM
10-15-2002, 09:53 AM
CAMI OR JESS I HAVE GOTTEN THE VIRUS AND WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULDTELL ME HOW TO GET RID OF IT IT WAS OPENED THE OTHER DAY CAUSE IT LOOKED LIKE MAIL FROM MY FREIND NOW I CANT SEEM TO GET RID OF IT I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ITIF SOME ONE HAS ANY INFO ON HOE TO GET RID OF IT PLEASE!!! THX MARIE.

Cami A
10-15-2002, 10:26 AM
This must be everywhere again, 'cause I've gotten several desperate pleas for help in the last few days.

I didn't get the virus/worm...but try this, lifted from here. (http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:KBiUg3Z7HoEC:www.seniorcenter.net/netlearnernews/archives02/srspg3_07_072.html+goldfish+yaha+virus+fix&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)

Free Virus scan.
Trend Micro, more commonly referred to as Housecall, offers free virus scans and in most cases can fix damage down by a virus or worm that your computer may have contacted. The program works well. The first time one uses the free program it is necessary to download a small program. Trend Micro walks you through the process. Then the virus scans are quite simple for each return. You should disable any antivirus program that you have running. If you do not have a virus program I recommend that you use this program first and then download one of the free programs listed above of install any antivirus program you have purchased. Go to http://www.antivirus.com/free_tools/ then choose the link "Scan Your PC, Free". Follow the directions.

Maybe JC or Dave or one of the other 'puter gurus will have some have some advice. (other than switch to Linux...:) )

davem
10-15-2002, 12:21 PM
How about I just back you up Cami. :) That Trend Micro thingy works, I used it on a friends computer that got a virus.

Cami A
10-15-2002, 02:54 PM
Back up is nice. :)

Three more of these infected emails since lunch. :mad:

kdzgon
10-16-2002, 08:25 AM
Cami,

Did you warn the Chamber of Commerce that they might have a problem? Even if they are not the source, they might not realize they are so vulnerable right now.

Laurie

Cami A
10-16-2002, 08:33 AM
They know- there's been attacks on the Chamber and the Vistor's Bureau this summer. Grrr--somebody messed with the online reservation system!

flatfloor
10-16-2002, 08:46 AM
Probably Canadian terrorists. :)

John Bridge
10-16-2002, 08:42 PM
I count myself as probably one of the least savvy computer people on this site, but I've told you folks a bunch of times not to open mail on your system. Get your mail on the web and leave it there. Then you will only have to worry about downloading attachments.

When I try to open an email on my web-based program that is questionable, all I get is the "cannot find" notice. I've not had even a close call since I started doing that.

Everybody has access to web based email. Your provider, for one, has set up an email account for you. You can get an account at Yahoo and go there for mail. Or if you have a web site host, you can get your mail there (like I do).

I still haven't bothered taking care of all the KLEZ things I quarantined while I was still using Outlook Express. ;)