Seam between ceiling drywall and cementboard [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Seam between ceiling drywall and cementboard

antun
11-07-2005, 04:56 PM
I've installed moisture resistant drywall on the ceiling of my bathroom (including in the shower stall. Cementboard is on the walls of the shower stall, going right the way up to the ceiling. The ceiling drywall was hung first, so the cementboard edges butt up to the face of the ceiling. In some places, there's a small gap between the edge of the cementboard and the face of the ceiling.

We're going to tile all the way up the cementboard, right to where it meets the ceiling. In other words, the tiles should be able to hide any gaps.

If the tiles will cover gaps, do I need to tape the joint where the drywall meets the cementboard? I can't think of a good reason to do this, but I thought I'd ask.

-Antun

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
11-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Nope, and normally, you don't grout a change of plane, either. You could just leave a gap (small), or put caulk there if you wanted. Nobodys going to see it anyways. My unprofessional opinion. Now, it might not hurt to caulk it if there was any chance of an air leak - drafty showers are not nice!