Pipe cutter [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pipe cutter

Jerold
10-29-2005, 12:20 PM
John Bridges suggested that I use the forum insted of e-mailing him all the time so here goes. I have remove an old cement 32x32 shower base and now I'm stuck with a drain pipe that sticks above the concrete floor about 2" the new oatly drain I want to put in to build a new flloor pan requires the pipe to be a lot shorter. The present hole is lare enough for the new drain but not large enough to cut the 2" drain pipe off low enough to accept the new drain. what can I do? is there such a thing as an inside pipe cutter? and if so where can I get one. I've searched all my local resources and havent been able to come up with one or anyone thats ever heard of one. Suggestinos please JW.

Sponsored Links

T_Hulse
10-29-2005, 12:34 PM
What kind of pipe is it? They do have inside cutters for plastic pipe. You can get 'em at any plumbing supply distributor.

Blackberry
10-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Inside pipe cutter. That's what I need. I don't know why it didn't occur to me. You can use a dremel too. It's tough but eventually it works.

T_Hulse
10-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok don't nobody tell Mike2 I stole his picture from an upcoming Kerdi drain post in the Liberry, but here's what it looks like. He says $10 to $15 & you use it with a regular drill.

MHI
10-29-2005, 02:35 PM
The cutter on the drill will work, and its sold at most plumbing stores.

I have a Ridgid internal pipe cutter, because I have to do it about every two weeks. It cost about $180.:)

cx
10-29-2005, 06:25 PM
A hunnert an eighty dollars?!! Do it come with a little tiny plumber that climbs down in there, Matt? :D

tileguytodd
10-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Kelly, ya think Matt would borrow it out if we fed ex'd it back??
Heck even Rob will lend you his fancy planer :D

cx
10-30-2005, 07:06 AM
I'd just kind like to see what the hell it is. Don't believe I'll ever need to inside-cut that many pipes in the remainder of my career. :)

For that much dinero, though, I'd think you just show it the plans out onna tailgate and circle the pipes to be cut, then go take a nap 'till it's finished. :D

MHI
10-30-2005, 08:09 AM
Here is a link to something that looks like it, mine is an older version of the 106. When I bought it from the plumbing supply, the guy selling it to me was as supprised as me how much it cost. It works very well though.

If it saves you from cutting the stub too short even one time, it won't owe you anything.:D

http://www.toolup.com/ProductInfo.asp?Page=2&ID=33005&Manufacturer=Ridgid

cx
10-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Oh, is not a saw at all. Looks like it's made for big copper and such. It will cut PVC/ABS pipes?

Davy
10-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Ain't no tileman around smart enough to use that thing. :)

John Bridge
10-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi Jerold, :)

Wasn't trying to get rid of you, but you'll get much better answers here, as evidenced by the large amount of pipe cutter chatter you've generated already. :)

But what if the pipe is not plastic? Well, is it? ;)

MHI
10-30-2005, 07:24 PM
cx,

Its made for copper, but you can put a plastic cutting wheel on it. One of the models is sold with the plastic wheel on it already, but its for small pipe. Mine can do 2-3 inch drains.:)