Bathroom project - advice(s) needed [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom project - advice(s) needed

mike1993
10-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Hello folks,
I've decided to tile my bathroom walls and have been reading WWW and this board for while now. Unfortunately, the more information i get, the more and more questions come up. I am getting a bit overwhelmed :-).... And I have to tell you in advance, construction terminology is not a very familiar territory for me, yet.

As part of bathroom renovation, I am replacing the bathtub. The current one has plastic surrounds and the wall behind them will be covered w/ tile.

Tile is ceramic, 8"x10", 4mm. by Americanolean. (Courtland series)
Bathtub to be installed: enameled iron.

#####[window]######
#++ B #
# A #
# T #
# H #
# #####
# _ +
# _ +
# + +
#=[door]======+++++

The W(est) wall is a drywall covered w/ wallpapers. Obviuosly, wallpaper will be removed and I'd sand the wall clean of any leftovers.
1. Is there anything else should be done to the wall?
2. What bonding compound would recommended to use? (Thin-set /Specialty Mortars / Ceramic Adhesives...) I am looking at the CustomBuildingProduct "Setting Material" and at the total loss here...
3. What is appropriate thin-set thickness for 8x10x4mm tile?
4. What's grout should be? Where can I find some kind of chart for this?

Bathtub surrounding walls. From what I can tell the walls are 1/2" cement backer boards. The S(outh) wall of the bath stands between the bathtub and the closet. There is a hole in the closet wall a to allow access to bathtub overflow pipe and faucet pipes, so I can see the cement board.

Since I can see the bath from the inside of the closet, that means that part of the bath S(outh) wall is missing the backer board behind the plastic bathtub surround.

What do i do besides filling the holes w/ piece of wonderboard and patching the seams? What am I supposed to do w/ waterproof membrane? Do I need it at all? ( I mean, the bath tab already has backer board installed on it's perimeter.

If the walls behind plastic surrounds are painted, what do i need to do beside sanding the paint off?
or do I install membrane over existing walls and then install 1/4" backerboards (Wonderboard or Hardy?)?

Can you recommend a good place to see what/how exactly tile is placed where the top of the bath touches the wall (as i mentioned before, my terminology is not there yet... i do not remember how it's called)
I sshould I just place the tile above the iron (flange??) and leave 1/4" (or is it 1/8") to be filled w/ caulk?

#
#| <----- What happens here?
# --
# |
# |
# \

Appreciate all you help.
Thank you,
Mike

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
10-24-2005, 11:12 PM
If they didn't put a vapor barrier behind the cbu, then you may need to put something like Redgard on top of it, or you could use Kerdi. Course, you could tear out the cbu and put up a vapor barrier, then replace it. Easier to just use Redgard, though. Is the tub cast iron or enameled steel? If the steel one, many people find them problematic - they chip fairly easily. I didn't touch all of your concerns...I only addressed those I felt comfortable with...

muskymike
10-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Hi Mike, welcome. You have to lay the tile out and see what you will like. I have put that tile in with 3/16" to 1/16" grout lines. It's what you like no standards on grout line size when it comes to that. You want to use redguard as Jim suggested if you don't have any vapor barrier. You can use a modified thinset to set the tile and a 1/4" notch trowel. The cbu should be off the flange a little. Use some silicone to seal the bottom edge to the cbu to the flange.

mike1993
10-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the tips.
Does Homedepot or Lowe's stock the Redguard? When it comes to tailing materials I see their online stores as TOTALLY useless.
Any preferences to modified thinset?

bbcamp
10-25-2005, 12:11 PM
HD sells Redgard and other Custom Building Products. A good general purpose modified thinset is Versabond, also at HD.

mike1993
10-25-2005, 11:03 PM
I have not teared the tub plastic surrounds yet, but i would prefer to be ready in case i need to replace the walls and install CBU.
What size should be used 1/4" or 1/2"?
If new CBU are installed, should they be over tub flange or under?

Thanks,
mike

bbcamp
10-26-2005, 06:06 AM
Use 1/2" CBU for walls. You can stop it about 1/8" above the nailing flange, then let your tile overhang the flange and stop about 1/8" above the tub deck.

mike1993
10-26-2005, 04:24 PM
bbcamp, thanks for keeping up w/ all my questions.
I have one more, 1/4 notch trower - square or V-type notch?

bbcamp
10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Square.

mike1993
10-31-2005, 10:11 PM
A few more questions, what grout would you recommend: Polyblend,Prism, something else?
The corner joins, all the pics (well most of them) i see, i do not see caulk in vertical corners. I see grout. I thought the vertical corners suppoused to be filled w/ caulk... What's the deal here?

And the wall and floor join: there was a discussion on forum and someone recommended to place "rope"-like caulk into a join between floor and wall before filling it w/ caulk. Unfortunately, i closed the browser window before I bookmarked it, and cannot find the note I made. damn!
What's the name of this thing? I'd appreciate if someone can tell...

Thanks,
Mike

mike1993
11-08-2005, 02:06 PM
A few more questions:
- grout type: sanded or non-sanded?
(i cannot recall, but I think i saw some info that stated for 3/16 and less grout lines use non-sanded grout). Coould someone confirm this for me pls.
- where do you folks get grout shade matching caulk?

Thanks,
mike

bbcamp
11-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Mike, the rope thing is called caulk backer rod. You can get it at insulation supply stores, or do a web search.

A lot of the pros grout where the specs to caulk, and many of them get away with it. Those that do usually have monolithic mud showers or have reinforced the wall framing in some way. If you choose to grout, keep an eye on it and if it does crack, dig it out and caulk.

Unsanded grout on grout lines 1/8" and under. 3/16" gets sanded grout.

Most grout companies make color matched caulk. Check where you bought your grout.

mike1993
11-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Thank you!

mike1993
11-28-2005, 01:49 PM
My wall height is 66", the tile is 8x10. The going to be accent strip line 2x8. I am thinking putting cut tiles in the buttom row (over the bath tub flange).
Is this the correct approach? What is general rule w/ placement of the cuts: top or the bottom?

Also, what happens w/ the top most row and ceiling? Should it be grouted or caulked?

Thanks,
mike