Cutting already installed tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting already installed tile

sm8224
10-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Is there a way to cut tile that is already installed? I want to basically cut a straight line at a 45 degree angle through two existing tiles that are at the edge of a tiled layout. I am thinking i could use a straightedge and a dremmel with a tile cutter on it, to cut through, and then chip the unwanted portion from the floor. Good or bad idea, and any other suggestions? thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
10-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Welcome! Gotta first name we can use?

A Dremmel isn't going to touch a floor tile. :shake: Way too hard. You could use an angle grinder with a diamond blade, possibly. :)

sm8224
10-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Is that something that people have done in the past? or is it a bad idea all around? i dont want to chip the tile up, but i will have carpet layed up to it, and am thinking that any bad edge may be covered by the new carpet.

chassis
10-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Will the cut edge be visible? Just curious, because a freehand cut edge will probably not be pretty. A RotoZip with dry diamond wheel will cut tile. I've done it before with good results, but this was on loose tile on a workbench, not tile on a floor. Just means you need to be careful, wear eye protection, and protect anything from flying chips. Might be a good idea to set up some kind of straightedge/cutting guide (1x4 lumber) to keep the cut straight.

doitright
10-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi Steve :)

I do this type or work frequently under various circumstances. I use a diamond blade in my variable speed Metabo. You need a very steady hand, safety glasses (goggles better), and a good vac.

Do you have any extra full tile?

oakview
10-23-2005, 10:53 PM
I just got through cutting 6 linear feet of already set PEI 5 porcelain with my Rotozip and a masonry blade. Worked great, though I used up the entire blade. What doitright said about glasses or goggles - it threw little hot nuggets of blade everywhere and stunk up the house sumthin' fierce!! Came out nice and straight, only need to smooth the cut edge.

Tool Guy - Kg
10-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi Dave,
I took it to mean that the tile cutter he was referring to was their tile cutting bit. I know the bit won't do much of anything to hard floor tile, but I imagine a cutting blade/wheel might get you some cutting action. :) Thanks for making this clearer.

oakview
10-23-2005, 11:20 PM
I dunno... also kinda thought he was referring to a bit. Don't know if Dremel has an angle attachment for wheels like Rotozip. I'd hafta agree, a bit would wander way too much without some sorta guide. Hand held probly would wander around too much like a drywall bit.

chassis
10-24-2005, 07:08 AM
IMHO I don't think the RotoZip or Dremel bits will cut porcelain tile, but I know for certain the diamond wheel will. No smell with the diamond wheel either, but you do have chips of tile flying around.

Tool Guy - Kg
10-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi Will,
I think everyone agrees that the little bits won't do anything for the floor tile. We all seem to agree that a wheel of some sort will do the trick. I think the part that is muddying the waters is if "sm8224" is indeed referring to a bit that won't work, or a wheel that will. :)

Theoderik
10-24-2005, 09:30 PM
steve,

don't plan on the carpet butting up to the tile hiding any errors or chips you make. Do it right the first time or plan on using a metal bar as a transitional piece.

My opinion is that a metal bar looks tacky as a transition from carpet to tile. But, you do what you have to do. I like the look of the carpet straight to the tile but in my experience, the carpet doesn't hide much in the line of mistakes.

Good luck.

sw