Ditra vs. Crack iso membrane over gypcrete [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ditra vs. Crack iso membrane over gypcrete

Madison Mike
10-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I've been looking at an acceptable method to lay tile over gypcrete lately, not because I had to, but because I knew one day I'd be asked to. Well, that day is soon coming. One of the sales chicks called me up and said "I'm about to send out this bid for 1000sf of tile. If it's over gypcrete do we have to do anything diiferent??" Yeah, seriously. Anyway, I told her we could prime the gypcrete with latex, redguard, or possibly Keralastic (just what I've heard) and then lay Ditra over that. She later calls me up and says that she talked to a rep who has a system where you trowel or roll out a "hardener", wait 4 hours, apply latex, wait an hour, then apply a sheet crack isolation membrane that has a self adhesive side on it, kind of like peel and stick.

The rep also confused her on the difference between crack isolation membranes and Ditra in this application. Am I OK in my thinking? Can you guys chime in so she gets more than just my humble opinion??

Thanks, Mike

Any thoughts??

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
10-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Not able to comment on her product without a name.Could be flexgaurd but there are several others out there.
Ive done a couple Large jobs over gyp in floor heat. 1 1150 ft granite and 1 1380' of 13x13 porcelain........both over Ditra.
Also several floors of motels with the same method w exception of a Rapidsetting thinset to set tile in these small bathrooms)
Kerabond/Keralastic to install Ditra and Kerabond to Install stone and porcelain burned in and set into combed bed. 1 was prefilled, the second wasnt. ( i preferred the second method)
Wait a couple days after setting tile before moving around on it for best results and another 7 days after grouting before opening up to anything but light traffic.( no appliances, grand Piano's etc ;) )

Chris the Rep
10-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Mike,

Assuming that is Gyp-Crete brand of underlayment, I would go to their website, www.maxxon.com, grab their phone number, and call them on the phone. Corporate headquarters is outside of Minneapolis. They put out a very informative brochure that outlines acceptable methods and products to install most any finish floorcovering over their different products.

I always found it handy to have so I could pull it out and show the person that wanted to use a method that was unacceptable. There is a gyp-crete applicator in Hartland who may be able to get you a copy as well.

Chris

Madison Mike
10-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks. I was able to at least open up some some kind of discussion with her, even though her eyes kind of glaze over when you use words with more than 3 syllables. By the by, she came up with a funny new concept, mostly because she doesn't know much about the install end of things: Uncrumpling membrane. That's what she originally said she had been told that Ditra was.

I still like the term procrasturbating. As in "Stop procrasturbating and start tearing out that tile!"

Mike
Madison, WI