Curbless Shower Threshold HELP! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Curbless Shower Threshold HELP!

MarcSavage
10-16-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm almost done my slate floor install and I was wondering if I should install a tile edging between the shower and the bathroom floor? And if so, which one?

Option 1: Schluter Reno-T. T shaped profile that is siliconed between the tile. I plan to install a tempered glass partition. Iím worried it may interfere with the glass install.
Option 2: Schluter Shciene. L shaped profile that I would grout on both sides.
Option 3: Just grout but I am worried about movement between the shower stall and the rest of the bathroom.

Thanks

Marc

Sponsored Links

jgleason
10-16-2005, 04:16 PM
I'd opt for the L-shaped Schluter Schiene piece.

John Bridge
10-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Is the Kerdi running under the Ditra? How are you making that connection waterproof?

MarcSavage
10-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Hey John, the Ditra and Kerdi from the shower pan are flush and butted up together. I was going to Kerdi-Bandi the two for a water tight seal.

Mike2
10-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Hmmm....what about that primed wallboard on the far wall. Any water whatsoever going to get over there?

:)

bbcamp
10-18-2005, 05:52 AM
Are you using the edging for a design element? Otherwise, why not simply but the 2 materials together, allowing for a groutline, for course. It can be caulked for movement.

Consider some kerdiband as flashing at the walls.

MarcSavage
10-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Hey Bob,

I wanted to use this piece as both a design element and a movement piece. I know, Schiene is not a movement profile but I thought it might be better than nothing in preventing a grout crack from one side to spread to the other.

By flashing, do you mean extend the kerdiband up from the Ditra to the wall a couple of inches?

Mike: We've been using the shower since May with a temporary shower curtain and water dosen't seem to reach the far side of the 66" shower. Just in case, I've installed an extra course of tiles that will be 3" outside of the glass partition. I probably should have gone a little further out but I had to deal with a window just beside the shower.

Are you using the edging for a design element? Otherwise, why not simply but the 2 materials together, allowing for a groutline, for course. It can be caulked for movement.

Consider some kerdiband as flashing at the walls.