Countertops--- [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Countertops---

chase2000gt
10-01-2005, 12:57 PM
What is the best method for countertops? How about the edges? Dircections for a floated countertop would be nice.

Thanks
Chase :)

Sponsored Links

Arn
10-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Chase:

Floating is the best way to tile, but not the best for the inexperienced. It would take too long to tell you how. Search the liberry then you can ask some specific questions.

CBU can be done well and last a long time too, Much much easier!

Best of luck!

chase2000gt
10-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Well, I just floated one today, I used a "tile cap" for the edge. Is this the best way? I filled the cap with the same deck mud I used on top. , It didnt want to stay in very well. Would thinset be better to fill teh front?

Arn
10-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Chase:

Great. I call it Cap Strip, and that is the way to do it. It also allows you to level the counter perfectly. Use mortar in the cap strip too.

Sorry, I assumed this was your first tiling experience :uhh:

Directions for floating a countertop:
Cut sink opening(s)
Paper off cabs and tops
cut metal lathe to openengs and edges (not hanging over)
affix metal lathe with 1/2" staples
cut and loosley staple cap strip (so you can move it)
level cap strip and nail every other slot ( through metal at corners and ends)
mix mud
install wet screed strips into mud ridge were necessary, tap level to cap strip
some dry cement will make the screed stick mud kick off faster
fill and rod off
fill cap strip (deck mud and cap mud needs to adhere through holes)
wait......
rub down
* no cap strip at oven ( use thin wood), float the backsplash first, clip the sharp corners of the cap strip where you make a corner, make seperate counters the same height.

best of luck!

chase2000gt
10-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks Arn,
I used to work for a high end tile setting company, And I was double checking to make sure I was doing everything correctly. Its been 3 years and I only floated one countertop for them after all. :) This particular customer dosnt want backsplashes. Just mirrors down to the tile and nothing on the edge. I think she's nuts.

Also, for backsplashes, Its ok to stick the tiles right to the drywall... Right?

Arn
10-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Yep, use thinset instead of mastic though.