DALTILE Rittenhouse Square (subway) tile grout lines? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : DALTILE Rittenhouse Square (subway) tile grout lines?

fogcity
09-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Hello,

This site is such a great resource! This is my first post.

I've purchased some Daltile Rittenhouse Square 3x6" subway tile. I intended to install them with minimal width grout lines of 1/16".

They've arrived, and now I'm alarmed to see that each tile has a contiguous built-in spacer... because, if i butt two tiles against each other I see the 1/16" spacing that I want, BUT there is no opening for grout to fill in and grab the sides of the tile. My tiler is saying I need to use 1/16" spacers so the grout will hold the tile properly. This would result in what will look like 1/8" tile spacing.

I could swear that the sample I saw originally had the built-in spacers dotted along the edges of the tile. Has Daltile changed this recently? Do we really need to use spacers for this tile to set right? Has anyone else used daltile subway tile recently and accomplished what I'm after?

Sponsored Links

Davestone
09-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Never used this tile..but if it has a shoulder holding them apart for any grout joint, you don't have to use spacers, or make a larger joint,than 1/16",just use unsanded grout. :cool:

John Bridge
09-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Welcome aboard, Fog. Please give a first name. ;)

I've used those tiles. You won't need spacers, but you might need small shims/wedges from time to time to keep them running straight and level. The lugs are the spacers.

Lola
09-26-2005, 03:03 PM
I think the key word here is "contiguous" defined as "connecting without a break", which would mean the tiles when butted together leave no space for grout. If the lugs were just at the ends or spaced out he wouldn't have the problem. ??

Arn
09-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Just rack them tight and use un-sanded grout. It will look great!

Shaughnn
09-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Hello Fog-head,
As everyone has already assured you, you won't need spacers. I'm a little skeptical of your setter though if he/she was trying to talk you into using spacers. A handful of tile or marble wedges should be all the accessories you'll need, as John already suggested.
Just because I'm nosey and you're a neighbor, where will you be installing these gems? I take from your introduction that you've lurked here long enough to know that mastic/ pre-mixed thinset isn't suited to wet locations like showers.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
PS: To explain why the samples you saw might have had different lugs than the tile you received, Dal has their stuff made a many different factories (mostly in Mexico now) and each factory may have slightly different press equipment. The constant for all of them is " fine dimension", " glaze consistency" and "bisque composition". Dal's got a pack of STELLAR technicians that keep their collective thumb on the pulse of their quality controll.... when it's not up their collective keisters. :D

fogcity
09-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback, everyone!

Unfortunately I didnt log in to read the answers before my tiler had started setting the shower booth tile with 1/16" spacers (I guess I thought the website would email me to tell me there were responses?).

Anyway, it looks ok as is. But I'll have him go with no spacers on the tub surround that's coming up next.

Related question: Any suggestions on grout color? I'd like something about as dark as the grout lines in this photo:

http://ideas.houseinprogress.net/images/subwaytile.jpg

I'm going for a historically accurate look, which I guess means either antique white or light gray? Problem is, all the grout colors I've seen look like they have a blue or red undertone which makes it look artificial to me. Delorean grey seems to be neutral, but a bit too dark. ugh.

Basically, if anyone's done a job with daltile subway tiles can you please post a picture along with a note on the grout color (and manufacturer)? This would probably help.

Thanks again!

- Dan

Shaughnn
09-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Hi Dan,
Antique White or Natural Grey from the Custom Building Products "Polyblend" Non-Sanded line should work.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

fogcity
10-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I bought some DELOREAN GREY, NATURAL GREY and ANTIQUE WHITE grout all from Custom Building Products. I've let the colors dry overnight. Natural grey does look natural but it seems 75% black. Antique white has no grey to it at all, and seems mostly a muted yellow. Delorean grey seems close to have some blue in it or something. I guess what I'm looking for is something that looks like a shadow, which would be 25% grey. If this was paint, I'd say to only use a small amount of LAMP BLACK colorant until 25% grey was reached. Or, mix one part Natural Grey to two parts pure white grout. But I don't want to get into mixing custom grout colors that will be hard to keep uniform or impossible to recreate in the future. Can anyone suggest how to get the result I'm looking for?

Rhode Island Flooring
10-06-2005, 05:38 AM
whoa look at the bead of caulk on that bathroom flooa, almost ruins the whole job.

Shaughnn
10-06-2005, 06:13 AM
Bill,
I don't think that's caulk. I think it's the reflection off of the sanitary cove base. I could be wrong though?
Shaughnn