3x6 or 4x8 for FLOOR - who has it? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 3x6 or 4x8 for FLOOR - who has it?

johnmari
08-06-2005, 04:53 AM
Hello, newbie here, drifting over from Gardenweb. My name is Mari and I live on the NH seacoast.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced ($10sf is pushing the budget envelope hard, I need to keep materials costs down to cover labor) 3x6 or 4x8 for floors that isn't a wannabe-stone tile? Solid color - tans, light browns - would be very much preferred. I want the rectangular shape to do a herringbone or basketweave pattern on a bathroom floor. Dal's documentation says that the Rittenhouse Square mattes can be used on residential bathroom floors but the breaking strength is really low... my first thought had been to use that since that's what's going on the shower walls but after consulting Dal's tech support decided that it's not as good an idea as I thought.

The local tile stores have been useless as far as getting help is concerned, which is extremely frustrating, and getting to Portland or Boston would be difficult (long story, not relevant). Can anyone help?

Many thanks,
Mari

Sponsored Links

Mike2
08-06-2005, 06:12 AM
Good morning Mari and welcome to TYW :)

How about Natural Hues from Daltile? Click here (http://www.daltileproducts.com/series.cfm?cat=4&series=26) . Solid colors in both 3X6 and 4X8 with breaking strength of 250 lbs.

Additionally, Joe Gleason (jgleason) one of our moderators here is from NH. Maybe he knows of a better tile store to go to. I'll ask him to join us.

johnmari
08-06-2005, 06:36 AM
I had seen Natural Hues on Dal's website, but it wasn't in the half-dozen tile stores I visited this week, and it's not on the Dal pricelist at HD (I checked there because they claim they can get everything Dal makes, and their prices are MUCH lower than the tile stores, by almost 50% in the case of the Rittenhouse Square I'm using for the shower walls and about 30% for the Keystones for the shower floor). Weird. I know the last time I saw it a few months back it was up around $12-15/sf - I remember being shocked by the price - but I had gone hunting for it again this week "just in case" and it seems to have gone poof.

Thanks,
Mari

jgleason
08-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi Mari,

Have you checked out Corriveau-Routhier (http://www.corriveaurouthier.com/index.asp) yet? They have locations in Concord, Manchester and Nashua. They are knowledgable, fair and have great selections. They won't be as inexpensive as the big box stores but they should be able to get you what you are looking for.

johnmari
08-07-2005, 06:35 AM
No, I haven't been there - I didn't even know they existed. I've been shopping around the seacoast primarily, all I've had to go by for finding sources has been the yellow pages and the distance I can travel is somewhat limited. I'll try to get out to Manchester this week.

Chris the Rep
08-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Mari,

Can't offer you any advice as to where to look or any particular brands to look for...

But I have to offer up one thing regarding rectanglular tiles, make sure they are modular sized. A true sized 4" x 8" tile, or 3" x 6", or 5" x 10" for that matter, will not lay in a herringbone or basketweave pattern with any grout joint.

A modular 4" x 8" will have an actual measuerment of probably 3 7/8" x 8", so when the two short sides are laid to the long side of the tile, you will have a 1/4" grout joint. If you use a Dal-Tile, I doubt you will have a problem, as I am fairly certain that they are modular sized. Most rectangular shaped tiles are, but there are a few out there that aren't.

Chris

Bill Vincent
08-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Joe-- Good idea!! I didn't even think of C&R!! She's trying to keep the material cost down so she can pay me more in labor!! :D :D :D

Hi Mari!! (just kidding) :)