Tub surround outside corner [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tub surround outside corner

goliath6262
08-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Hey guys...just had another quick question. I have a tub surround project going, and wondered what is the best way to finish an outside corner joint, where Hardi Backer meets Drywall. It seems regular metal corner bead would protrude too far out. Would mesh tape be better? smoothed with thinset inside the surround and joiunt compound on the drywall side? thanks in advance for the advice guys I really appreciate it.

J

Sponsored Links

NVC
08-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Hi J,

If I'm 'seeing' it right, I'd 'prolly' hold the hardybacker back a 1/2" and run the drywall over the rough hardy edge, then tile out over the drywall edge.

Course, I may be confuzzled about the situation, and if so . . . nevermind :)

Mark

goliath6262
08-03-2005, 09:05 PM
No, you got it right. Drywall is existing though. its an outside corner , 90 degrees, like any outside corner you would normally use metal corner bead and compound on. Thanks again!

J

NVC
08-03-2005, 10:13 PM
If I wasn't to replace the existing drywall, I'd prolly hold the hardybacker 'back' a 1/2" and use a piece of quarterround trim.

It's no fun trimming something like that out, because the drywall is likely to be all over the place plumb-wise, which will either be seen on the outside edge or in the grout joint between your quarterround (or some trim piece) and the field tile.

Another option is to hold back your tile short of the corner, you can keep the tile perfectly plumb, and still use the cornerbead for drywall.

A few options for you, sight unseen. Perhaps others might have some tips/tricks that will give you a broader choice.

Mark