Remove baseboard or tile up to? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Remove baseboard or tile up to?

azgunn
06-05-2002, 09:14 AM
I live in the Phoenix AZ area and I can't believe all of the brand new homes that I have recently been in where the tile layers tiled right up to the base board and around door trim instead of under it. Some of the grout lines are 1/2 thick in these areas. I recently went to a friends new home where their tiler tiled up close to the baseboard and then slapped down a 1/2 quarter round to cover the gap.

I was first taught to tile by a 72 yr old tiler from Chicago. He always told me to remove the baseboard, tile the room, then reinstall the baseboard. He also taught me to lay down a board the same thickness of the tile down as a guide to cut off the trim around the door with a hand saw so that the tile could fit in underneath the door trim.

So did my old buddy Lutz from Chicago lead me astray? Have I been wasting a lot of time with all of this additional trim work?

What is the professional way?

Sponsored Links

diemeto
06-05-2002, 09:37 AM
pros will be along but you are correct - unfortunatly with timing of new construction being crucial, many times the trim guys do there work before the tile guys

Marko F
06-05-2002, 11:25 AM
I won't pose as a tile pro, but I've done my fair share of tiling. There is no doubt that removing baseboard and trimming door casing/molding that is already in place is the choice method. The result will be a much cleanier more appealing tile job. Granted with construction schedules and contractors showing up out of ideal order, this is not always how things happen. A little extra efforet remving and re-installing the baseboard after tiling is complete is well worth the effort.

Marko

Bri
06-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Hi
Have no fear...you are doing it the right way..under cutting the jam and door casings is no big deal...but I refuse to tile up to baseboards...sometimes the contractor will put them on and leave a space for the tile..I won't do that either..I don't have time to fool around with every other tile that doesn't quite fit under. If the contractor won't take them off, then I do it myself.Baseboard on top makes a much nicer job.:)

John Bridge
06-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Bri pretty much said it all, but I do tile up to baseboards in remodel work. I do a very neat job of it, though. :)

Undercutting door jambs and casings is a must. There is no excuse, except laziness for not doing it.

I did a lot of tile work in Phoenix years ago. Used to live of Thunderbird and 51st Av.

azgunn
06-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the info!

Where you used to live is pretty close to where the new Phoenix Coyotes Ice Hockey stadium is going in. Home of the $8.00 24oz Beer. I never complain about 30 pack prices after I have been to a Coyotes or Diamondbacks game.

I am right off of TBird and 56th street. They are semi-custom homes on big 1/3 acre lots. My wife says that the one we bought needed some TLC but I think more on the lines of elbow grease and deep pockets.

I had an earlier post that was answered perfectly on all but one subject. The shower Curb. Can you help?

I still have a question on if I should use a curb or not.
Let me backup and rephrase. I currently have an almost 3 ft deep tile tub/shower (sunk below the slab/foundation) that I am going to transform into just a tile shower. Even though this existing tile tub is sunk below the concrete slab almost 3 feet it still has about an 8 inch curb. It is a killer first step right now to step over the curb and down 2 feet onto a step in the tile tub. I plan to fill the whole tub in - raise the drain and knock the walls back down to studs. I got a great tip to use the chipped out tile as part of the fill. This thing is 3 feet by 5 1/2 feet big.

My question is should I fill in the tub to to the level of the existing Slab and create a standard curb to separate the shower from the floor tile?

Or should I fill in to say 8"-10" below slab then start building my new shower pan? So instead of steping over a curb to get into the shower, I would just step down 5" or 6" inches to get in the shower.

Something tells me I need at least a small curb as a moisture barrier between my shower and my floor tile. Plus I need something to wrap my PVC liner over. On that note I keep reading about DONT puncture the liner. When you install the shower door track on the curb does it just clue in or does it puncture the liner by screwing in?

I was just trying to have something a little different by having the shower pan sunk into the slab.

Sorry to ramble.......

John Bridge
06-05-2002, 06:00 PM
I remarked about your shower on another thread. While I'm at it, let me give you a tip. Keep everything on one thread. Can you imagine how hard it's going to be for us to go back once you actually start doing some of this stuff? :D

I would build the thing up and go with a low curb for the reason you state. The liner has to come up and over.

azgunn
06-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Sorry about the possible thread "knot".

We are looking into digital cameras this weekend so maybe I will be able to post a picture of the existing tile "coffin". You can then look for your 20+ year old fingerprints.