tile not level -- thinset too thick? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile not level -- thinset too thick?

kevind
05-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Guys,
I recently had a bit of a tiling disaster. After ripping up my bathroom floor down to the joists, installing 2 layers of subfloor (3/4" and then 5/8" ply) and 1/2" backboard - I somewhow screwed up in the actual tile setting process (which I thought was supposed to be the easiest part). The tile I was using was 3"x3" porcelin on 1'x1' mesh sheets. This tile was very thin, maybe 1/8". I used a 1/4" inch trowel, which seemed to lay down a bed of thinset that was way too thick. The tile sunk into the thinset so deeply that the joints filled up with thinset, and overall the finished floor was not level. I tried my best to recover -- scrape the thinset out from the joints, level the tile best I could -- which was hard because it came in these mesh sheets. Nevertheless, my efforts were in vain and I foolishly let this cure. It might have been passable, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and have subsequently chiseled off the tile, thinset, and backerboard -- which was not a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon. It's a very small bathroom, so it wasn't as bad as I'm making it sound -- but still, this is not something that I want to repeat.

If I was to approach this again -- would you folks have any recommendations regarding:
1. thickness of thinset
2. techniques to level tile once it is laid
3. a tile pro the Seattle area that I could hire to spend an hour or 2 laying this properly and showing me the ere in my ways.

This site is a great service. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
05-17-2005, 08:31 PM
I think a 3/16" v-notch would work best. 1/4" is too much thinset

Jason

jdm
05-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Kevin --

It's best to have a variety of trowels available when you start a tiling. It's hard to know which one will be best until you lay some tile.