Thinset to wood bond [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Thinset to wood bond

gonzo
05-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Guys,

Need advice!

I had to use 1 inch furring strips to bring my backsplash out away from the wall so my 23 inch countertop tiles would reach the edge of the cabinet

Can I bond tile with thinset to the 1 inch edge of the fiurring strip to cap the backsplash? What thinset is best?

Am using hardibacker on the face of the backsplash. The 1 inch edge seems to thin to use hardibacker.

Gonzo aka Dave

Sponsored Links

Mike2
05-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi Dave.

I don't quite understdand what you are doing there with those furring strips but having said that, it's always best to avoid bonding tile directly onto unstable dimensional wood. Are these furring strips 1/4" thick & 1" wide; or 1" thick, X" wide? And if they are placed on the wall, won't the backerboard be secured onto them?

gonzo
05-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the quick answer

Its the top edge of the backsplash which is 1 inch away from the wall. The backsplash consiste of dry wall, 1 inch furring, hardibacker then tile.

The strips are 1x 2s its the 1 inch edge that I need to cover with tile the 2 inch side is covered with hardibacker. I dont think I could cut hardibacker into 1 inch strips if I wanted to.

Hmmm. I s this clear

Dave

jdm
05-17-2005, 09:47 AM
I think Gonzo Dave is referring to finishing the edges of the backsplash, perpendicular to the wall, which should be 3/4" (nominal 1") plus the thickness of the Hardi.

Using a carbide grit blade (available at the big boxes) in a sabre saw (portable jigsaw) you should be able to cut narrow strips of Hardi. Predrilling clearance holes the strips will help avoid cracking the strips when screwing it in place.