Help- Urgent [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Help- Urgent

lorax
05-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Our contractor is doing our backsplash right now. We have travertine(about 3/8" thick) and glass(about 1/4" thick). I wanted them each to be flush and he is saying that it's too difficult for him to do and so he has pushed back the glass so that is not flush? Shouldn't he be able to just backbutter the glass and have it be level?

Sponsored Links

lorax
05-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Also, how would he do the grout if it's two different planes? Should the grout angle back to the glass?

Shaughnn
05-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Lorax,
In that situation, I would make mock-pieces out of scrap or inexpensive tile the same dimension as the thinner material (in this case glass) and set the entire splash with these mock-pieces in place of the glass. After it is all set, and relatively stable, I would remove the mock-pieces and clean out the empty space in preparation for the glass. The following day, I would set the glass and use a beating block or other flat material to compress the setting bed behind the glass and make the surface of the glass fluch with the surface of the surrounding tile. It's not difficult, it just takes a lot longer and usually requires an additional visit.
Shaughnn