Ditra thin set recommendation [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ditra thin set recommendation

dnlblank
05-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I have been reading the posts on Ditra and thinset. I am tiling a large room that has 1-1/2 inch radiant heat thin slab poured. The surface is sound but unlevel, as much as 1/2 inch humps. I leveled the floor with a combination of a 1/2 inch mud bed bonded with a thinset slurry for the thicker parts and thinset for the thinner parts.

I am covering the whole area with Ditra due to the radiant heat and quite a bit of shrinkage cracking in the thin slab.

I was planning to use Master Blend to bond the Ditra to the slab, but have noted a number of posts talking down its qualities. I would choose Master Blend because HD is convienient, but I only want to do this once.

My tile comes from a supplier that carries TEC, but they are not so convinient.

Is Master Blend good stuff for this application?

David

Sponsored Links

Davy
05-15-2005, 04:58 PM
I like bonding the Ditra with Versabond. It's a little better than Master blend and is also sold at HD. :)

John Bridge
05-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Hi David, ;)

You are going over primarily a gypsum base. I would step up one notch to Versa Bond, also at Home Depot. It is lightly modified but not really a "modified" thin set. It's more like a high-dollar dry set mortar. About four bucks more per sack.

dnlblank
05-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your response. The base is actually a ready mix 3:1 sand:portland topping mix.

David

John Bridge
05-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Doesn't matter. Use the Versa Bond. :)

dnlblank
05-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Would you then use Versabond or Master Blend to set a porcelain tile on the Ditra?

David

muskymike
05-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi David, either one will work. I have been using masterblend for a kerdi shower I did last week, seems to be just fine.