Ceramic laid over VCT [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic laid over VCT

jjules300
05-15-2005, 06:44 AM
We have a concrete floor with VCT and a layer of embossing leveler over it. Can I put ceramic tile over this, or do i need to take it down to the concrete floor? any input is appreciated. have a great day

Sponsored Links

jay f
05-15-2005, 07:22 AM
In my opinion, it should be taken down. I DO NOT like depending on someone elses glue holding down my work. :twitch:

Steve in PA
05-15-2005, 09:41 AM
It depends…

I have confidently tiled over VCT.

If the VCT is loose in places and easily popped off with a sharp chisel or a hand help floor scraper take it up and prep the slab. Scrape off as much VCT adhesive as you can, remove any and all loose filler. Patch as needed and use a premium thin set, like karabond karalastic or latacrete 333.

If you would need to use a heat gun or a commercial floor scraper, to slowly remove the VCT because it had bonded extremely well to the slab, tile over it.
Again using a premium thin set like karabond karalastic or latacrete 333.

Davy
05-15-2005, 05:06 PM
I think it's best to pull it up although it has been done many times without problems like kilroy is saying. I have heard of a few failures, especially after a plumbing leak where the whole floor was saturated and the glue let go. How lucky do you feel? :)

John Bridge
05-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi Jules, Welcome aboard. :)

I'll vote for pulling it up. :)