Loose Tiles in Bathroom [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Loose Tiles in Bathroom

swank41
05-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the advice so far for my kitchen project... it's coming along nicely.

I just noticed that a ton of the 4"x4" ceraminc tiles in my bathroom are coming loose. They don't come off, but they are very hollow sounding and I can even hear some crunching when I walk over them. It's only 1/8" grout lines, but they are all cracking as well. This is probably a 20 year old tile floor.

Short of tearing up the floor and redoing it, is there anything I can do to remedy the problem?

Thanks again,

Steve

Sponsored Links

Davy
05-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi Steve, they may not be coming up yet but they will be. Maybe some movement or settling has caused enough stress on the tiles to break the bond. If you were to pull up a few pieces you would cause a chain reaction most likely and the whole floor might come up. This sounds like a situation where the grout is holding the floor together. Go ahead and put this down on the honey-do list. Is this on a slab or wood?

dmmoss
05-14-2005, 09:35 AM
No!!! SORRY.. :crap:

swank41
05-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Grrr.. I figured I'd have to take it up... I'm in the middle of a kitchen/dining room project, so why stop there?

It's on wood... there's a finished basement underneath.

Assuming the home builder used a decent underlayment when the house was built ('85), can I just pop all the tiles off and reuse the cement board or whatever is underneath (after scraping all the extra thinset away)?

This will be my next thing to tackle in a month or so...

thanks for the help,

Steve

jadnashua
05-14-2005, 07:57 PM
So many things could be wrong, that without knowing how the original floor was installed, you won't know what killed it until you start to remove things. It could be inadequate subfloor, improper installation, the house settling, rot, etc. If there is cbu down, they may not have used thinset under it, or didn't tape joints, or didn't leave expansion gaps at the walls, etc. So, until you start to demolish things, you won't know! My unprofessional opinion. A well installed floor on proper structure should still be fine. The grout might look dirty depending on care, but otherthan that, fine.