shower pan [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : shower pan

karlJM
05-13-2005, 01:27 AM
The third guy (who happens to be the supervisor) is out to perform a shower pan breakout and reinstall since 1st guy did a terrible float and tile job and second guy said he was going to raise the drain and concrete over 1st guy's job and retile. Plus he said he didn't know it was going to be a permit job so he didn't bring his permit type pan. Third guy (supervisor) did not disagree with how second guy was going to do. He also said 30 MIL is code which I'm still not sure if true or not as I was told 40 was code. He also made a big deal about the top of the damn and how even though previous tile was 4 inch with quarter round on each side, that he kept saying he'll probably have to use 6 inch tile...i don't know, he was rambling and didn't make sense to me. He disagreed with me on putting tile spacers or pea gravel around weep holes also. So needless to say, I do not have the greatest feeling about this sub. This is a sub that Western Exterminator uses here in So Cal. I looked up the company name (louporto as it was given to me by Western) but found none. My question is....should shower pan guy have a plumber license in addition to general license? Is there such a thing as a tile license? These guys have to be illegal with the crap they're telling me. Appreciate any help as this has been one big nightmare. :bang:

Sponsored Links

T_Hulse
05-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Hi Karl, sorry for your troubles. None of the tile guys have a plumbler's license, but I believe in CA that they must have a tile contractor's license. Some of the guys will let us know in the morning. 30 mil liners are minimum in most areas around here, but most good installers I know use 40 mil anyway. If he doesn't know about pea gravel to keep the weep holes clear, then he's probably never even seen a TCA book & doesn't have a clue how to build a proper mud pan. I would recommend you start looking for guy #4. If you tell us your exact area, some of our compadres down by you might know someone who can do a good job for you. :)

John Bridge
05-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Hi Karl, :)

There are illustrations on how a shower should be built in our (liberry).

karlJM
05-13-2005, 03:25 PM
If you tell us your exact area, some of our compadres down by you might know someone who can do a good job for you. :)

Guess what? Today was inspection day on pan and it did not pass. Since this was 3rd guy from same company, I decided to look up on CSLB to see if he was licensed. Turns out he is licensed for Flooring (C15) and General (B), but NOT licensed for Tile (C54). So I told Western not to send him back and that I will have right to pick three of my own, get bids, and that he can pick lowest bid. Sooo....any takers? I'm in Camarillo, CA which is in Ventura County. I need a properly licensed tiler and one that is as detailed as I am about things. This is a shower pan installation, and breakout is already done. Of course, I will request that the liner(pan) be removed as it is only 30 MIL and was not folded correctly at corners of dam. Plus I question whether this guy even did the preslope and drain assembly correct or not. I need three bids please ... :)

karlJM
05-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Please see reply above