New kid on the forum... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New kid on the forum...

oakview
05-12-2005, 10:43 PM
As I've seen many others state, I'm really glad I found this forum..." , friendly folks and sound, no BS advice - tell it like it is, do it right! You all are great!

I'm getting ready to tile an area roughly 150 sq. ft. of 30 year old concrete slab, previously covered with carpet. Aside from checking the slab flatness and removing all the carpet glue, I'm left with a number of divots in the concrete after removing the carpet tack strip. Most are the size of a $.50 cent piece and range in depth up to 1/4".

Can I simply fill these in with Versabond thinset, let dry, and then get on with the tiling, or do I need to use something else to fill them in?

Dave G. from Oak View, CA

Sponsored Links

T_Hulse
05-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. Most divots you can just fill wet as you apply the thinset for your tile. Larger ones more than a couple inches across may be easier to fill ahead of time. Nothing fancy needed. :)

oakview
05-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Thanks Tom... your advice, along with everything else I have read in this forum have made it possible to proceed with some degree of confidence. I'm definitely not a pro, but feel like I have one right beside me as I work.

The floor tile job is just a part of a complete kitchen remodel project we're undertaking, and will begin in earnest shortly. I've taken up the 30-year old vinyl tile, will be grinding off the old mastic this weekend, demo-ing the kitchen the following weekend, then the rehab work begins. I'll try and post photos as others have done - I've seen some remarkably beautiful work by amateurs like me!

-DaveG-

T_Hulse
05-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Have fun with the tear-up, and definately don't forget the pichers. :)